+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Burnt carpet in rental property- advice please!

So, unfortunately I dropped the iron on the carpet in our rented house and it made a big burn mark immediately. My mum also did the same thing in another room when she was staying with us earlier this year. Iron was knocked off the ironing board and picked straight up but burned immediately. I think it's nylon or polypropelene carpet (the same style that 99% of new built rentals have). We are usually very good tenants so i'm frustrated about this damage!

We have accidental damage on our contents insurance that would cover the carpet, but the excess is $500.

Just trying to work out the best thing to do. Either use insurance to replace them (but would both carpets in two separate incidents be covered under one excess?) or maybe it's cheaper/better to just pay to replace them without insurance. I have no idea how much it would even cost! One room is pretty large, would I have to pay to replace the entire carpet?!?

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing I'd appreciate some advice. Don't want to tell the real estate agent until I have some idea where I stand.

Thanks!

ETA: It's this type of carpet, same colour:

rental-property-carpet-classic-flooring.jpg
    Last edited by Bond Girl; 07-09-2016 at 11:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I actually did the same thing in a rental about 8 years ago, same kind of carpet. It was brand new carpet too before we moved in. There was loads of offcuts that had been left behind. I went to quite a few carpet shops to ask their opinions and ask for quotes for replacement of the burnt carpet. Luckily mine was in a corner of the room so they were able to do a spot replacement. Not before it went to the small claims tribunal though. The owners wanted us to pay for re-carpeting the entire unit. Judge found in our favour of spot replacing based on the quotes and statements I received. Cost about $200 in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get some quotes, and then tell the agent. I assume you won't do anything without telling the agent first. I would be pretty furious if my tentants replaced or repaired part of the carpet without telling me.
    It's a sh!tty situation to be in sorry this happened.
    If it was me, I would go with insurance claim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it helps I carpeted a smallish room recently (3x4) and it was $500.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For insurance wise it would most likely be 2 claims as you'd need to prove that you burnt the carpet in 2 rooms on the same day so you'd have excess of $1000 if it was $500 each. Being the type of carpet it is they probably replace the entire room as they could have trouble matching the lines up. Get some quotes first for the exact same carpet and see where you lie and what the price is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like a pp said, as it happened on 2 occasions and it's impossible for the damage to have been done by one event, you will pay 2 excesses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Yeah was expecting two excesses. 😢 And no, I wouldn't do anything without telling the agent first just trying to see where I might stand first.
    It's such bad luck for it to happen twice but so easily done.
    I also emailed the RTA about it for their opinion.
    Will try to get some quotes for replacing the carpet. I'd be shocked if it was more than the two excesses for such crappy carpet. But then I'm paying more than $300 a year extra on my policy for accidental damage. I'm not sure it's worth having it on the policy actually!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Burnt carpet in rental property- advice please!

You'll have to weigh up quotes vs excess when you know. I re-carpeted my entire house for $3k. Living/dining, hall, stairs & 3 bedrooms. Similar type of carpet.

Also if/when you get it fixed if you end up having to do the entire room don't do the underlay as there is nothing wrong with it and ask to keep the old carpet you could end up making a couple of mats to put down on the floor etc to protect it