+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me, essentials were a bassinette on wheels, angelcare monitor, stretchy wraps so i could bind baby properly, cloth nappie spew rags and alot of onsies.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First baby - what would you consider the 'essentials'?

Some good advice here. Personally, I loved having a change table and a baby bath. I still use the baby bath for my 18 month old as I'm pregnant with #2 and can't bend over the bath for her.

Other essentials for me....terry toweling nappy spew rags, tiny flannels, disposable change mats, baby monitor with sound and video, Onesies with zips and built in mittens.

We just had a car seat for #1 and it was fine. Will be hiring a baby capsule for #2 just to make it easier to manage 2 kids. I wouldn't buy one. Too expensive for how long they're used.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg- Mittens! Must have mittens!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Me too! I never got why people say it's hard on your back, but yeah if you're standing and bending right down I can see why that would be uncomfortable.
    I sit on the floor with legs in a V and bub in the middle. It's great when they're older and try to roll away and escape, you can pin them down with your feet
    Lol! That's handy I never thought to sit like that! I don't understand nappy change tables. They're a total waste of space. I'm a minimalist so I guess maybe that's why I feel that way. For me personally, the less I have to clean the better!

I also sit on the floor and fill the baby bath in the shower. I figure I'm using less water than filling an entire bath for a baby.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd put change table on the essential list also.

I had my first baby in April 13 and it's been in used ever since (I had a second baby since). So def not a waste of space or money
    I wouldn't have wanted to be sitting on the floor when I was heavily pregnant to change a toddler.

But the true and only essential IMO is a car seat if you have a car.
    Everything else you can do without.

Nice to have are a baby carrier, a pram, a change table, a bed and a swing

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those that don't like change tables this is the one I have. Change table becomes a book shelve afterwards IMG_1473244950.024133.jpgIMG_1473244960.204001.jpg

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (09-09-2016),Shoopuf  (09-09-2016),SookiLala  (08-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the bare necessities are:
    carseat
    clothes
    nappies and wipes
    Bedding/wraps

You technically can do without everything else. Even a cot if you decide to bedshare but please check out safe cosleeping guidelines.

Carseats- you can get a 'convertable' carseat which faces baby backwards like a capsule (rearfacing), which is legally required by law till 6 months but is ultimately safer for bub for as long as they fit. And then turns around (foward facing) later. A capsule is useful but not a necessity.

Pram- some are suitable from birth. Just make sure it lays flat or very close to. Some have basinettes you can attatch but they are usually costly.

Change table: i use the floor during the day or my bed at night. We have a change table, I've used it about 3 times with bub #2 in 17 months.

Clothes: i head millions. Bub lived in jumpsuits/onesies. Even now. So easy.

Basinette- bub can go straight into a cot if you choose

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found our change table to be essential.
    I wouldn't waste money on a capsule (I made that mistake and he hated it) get a seat for newborn - 4 (the safe and sound range is great).

The biggest wastes I found were - blankets and baby towels. I have a cupboard full of both and we rarely use either.

I did spend a lot on my pram and now have a travel stroller but I use both.

You can always hire things like capsules and prams so you can see what you like.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all of your helpful replies! I love the idea of a change table that converts into shelving or a dresser afterwards.

I hadn't thought of a carrier but now that it has been mentioned I do think I would get quite a lot of use out of it. It's good to know that prams and car seats can be used for a good few years, too.

Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our babies far apart and travelled in between (so started from scratch with number 2 as well).

I agree that, if you have a car, a carseat + clothes, nappies and wipes are the only real newborn essentials (or a layback pram with a bug storage basket if no car).

I got talked out of a capsule with #1 and regretted it every time I went out driving in circles at 3am to get her to stop screaming, knowing that it would be back to screaming as soon as I took her inside again. We invested in a good 0-4 carseat that we planned to keep for #2 - but it got stolen out of our car when she was 2!

With #2 I got a capsule that fit the pram and sold it when he was 8 months for $70 less than I bought it, cheaper than hiring!

All other big things other than pram we bought second hand and sold second hand as soon as we were done with them (keeps down clutter plus we have moved a lot). Every time the sell price was about the same as the buy price as there's kind of a standard value on things in the second hand market so long as they are kept in decent condition.

The two non-essential butbI wouldn't want to have done it without them things were a carrier (sling for #1, stretchy wrap for #2) and a bouncer (or rocker etc. Just something that they can be a little upright in that is easier than trying to wheel your pram into the bathroom so baby can still see you while you shower ).