+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Stroller/pram - some are suitable from birth through to toddler, it really depends what you're using it for (how much walking you do, indoor/outdoor etc). I think a good pram is an essential investment as you'll use it almost daily for years.

Car seats you can absolutely get ones suitable from birth up to 4 years (and I believe so even go up to 8 years?!). They will be reversible but be warned these generally take up more space than capsules - so ensure it fits in your car leaving the front passenger with a little leg room.

There are a lot of 0-4 seats on the market that take up less room than a capsule.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (06-09-2016),Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a stroller that was newborn to about 15kg, saved on two purchases.
    Convertible car seat - 0-4yo, again, saved $$
    We co slept so never used a cot. (Didn't even buy one)
    Our change table was a $50 ikea one, its out the back now with my gardening gear on it.
    No baby bath - laundry trough/showers and eventually normal bath.
    Our mw advised a drop sheet on the bed - (I put it under the sheet and mattress protector), in the last days of pregnancy - I made ours onto the bed the day my water broke, lol. Was on the lino in the kitchen though..
    Definitely lots of muslins if you plan on wrapping.
    Singlets, simple clothes. Onsies for ages. Two pieces for newborns never appealed.
    Lots of terry nappies. They catch everything!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mumat For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post

- change table (necessary?)
    My SIL stayed with us recently with a new born as we don't have kids yet we didn't have a change table..:she was complaining that her back was hurting with bending over to change on the bed - I thought she was being a bit precious...I took over some of the duties and I couldn't believe how quickly my back started hurting!!

I personally will be getting a change table

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (07-09-2016),Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    My SIL stayed with us recently with a new born as we don't have kids yet we didn't have a change table..:she was complaining that her back was hurting with bending over to change on the bed - I thought she was being a bit precious...I took over some of the duties and I couldn't believe how quickly my back started hurting!!

+1

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a separate change table but our chest of drawers has a frame on top that a change pad sits in, which is great because once my DD outgrows it there's only a little wooden frame to store away rather than a big separate piece of furniture. Our cot is multi purpose too, it can convert to a toddler bed and then a double bed so we won't have to buy a new bed frame for her for a very long time, if at all! So more cost effective in the long run. Both our cot and drawers are boori brand. I'd also recommend getting teething rails to protect the sides of your cot from bite marks and putting them on before your baby grows teeth (learned that the hard way!). I'd also get a bassinet. I wasn't going to buy one, but then a friend gave us their old one so we used it. It was so handy. The cot wouldn't fit in our room and there's no way I would have felt comfortable putting DD straight in her room as a newborn. Plus it had wheels so she could be in it around the house during the day too. I think I would have sent DH out to buy one the day we came home from hospital if I'd gone with my original plan of not having one! Of course, if our bedroom was big enough for the cot I may have felt differently.

I'd also put in a vote for the flat terry nappies, sudocrem, thousands of wipes (we go through an obscene amount!), and lots of onesies - shirt and pants for a newborn are a pain, and socks don't stay on. Zip swaddles like love to dream ones are a godsend - I could never get the hang of swaddling with a wrap, they'd always come loose.

I didn't use a capsule and never wished I had one, the 0-4 car seat has done us just fine. You can hire capsules if you think you'll want one though.

I spent heaps on a pram and wish now I hadn't as I use my baby carrier pretty much all the time (a good carrier is an essential in my book!). My $1000+ pram sits in my boot collecting dust! If I could pick again, I'd pick something lighter and cheaper like a steelcraft agile. I'd still buy a pram as it is handy sometimes to have one but my big heavy expensive pram was totally unnecessary.

I probably wouldn't buy a baby bath again, or if I did only a very small one. We were given a huge one and it was a pain, too hard to fill up. We shower with DD, much easier.

I'd also recommend getting a change clutch for when you're out and about. Makes life easier when everything you need is in one spot!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, stroller, car seat and baby carrier are necessary. I have used both a cot or a bed. What ever suits. Change table is a waste of space IMO (just pop a towel down on the bed). Highly recommend a very good baby carrier. Then of course nappies, clothes etc. nothing else is really necessary more a luxury.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps a capsule is great when you have older kids and all the running around. Otherwise not necessary.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post

I sit on the bed/floor with a bluey to change nappies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't bother with a change table but I did have baby in an ergo front pack till she was around 9 months. I was at work 3 days after I gave birth so I needed it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spincycle For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    I sit on the bed/floor with a bluey to change nappies.
    Me too! I never got why people say it's hard on your back, but yeah if you're standing and bending right down I can see why that would be uncomfortable.
    I sit on the floor with legs in a V and bub in the middle. It's great when they're older and try to roll away and escape, you can pin them down with your feet

19. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)