+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First baby - what would you consider the 'essentials'?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm starting to think about what we will need to buy for our first baby. We still have loads of time to organise everything (I'm only 10 weeks), but I'd like to have a rough idea of what we are up for and what I should be looking for.

We won't be painting or decorating a nursery because we will be renting at the time the baby arrives, and I also won't be having a baby shower because I'll be living in a different state to all of my family and friends so I'll have nobody to invite haha!

Money is not really an issue, but I'd prefer not to go overboard purely because I hate wasting things and we are quite minimalistic in our living in general.

So far I have on my list:

- stroller (do these come so that you can use them from newborn to toddler, or do I need to get separate ones?)

- car seat (same question I guess - is it a capsule I need for a newborn?)

- cot

- change table (necessary?)

- clothes, nappies, bibs, wraps etc

- baby bath (necessary? Or will the sink suffice?)

I'm completely clueless ... What else do they need? Any help or suggestions of things you found to be super useful or a complete waste of money would be greatly appreciated

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Stroller it depends, most have the ability to fix a bassinet on if you want to use from birth. I have two, one I use when they're little and one when they're older (more compact, but can't face me etc)

Cot - yes, although we hardly used ours. New mattress, but you could buy a second hand cot.

Car seat - lots of options. You can use a capsule if you like, and then you'll need a harnessed seat, most likely that rear faces, once they outgrow the capsule. You can otherwise but an A4 seat which is a 0-4, eg. Safe n sound Millenia, infasecure Quattro. Or you can buy an infasecure grandeur which is an extended rear facing seat which also converts to a forward facing harnessed seat which will harness up to 10 years of age.

I didn't use a change table so I don't consider that a necessity, others do. If you get one You could go second hand again.

Baby bath - we hardly used. We used sink until Bub was big enough to just lie on a support in the big bath, or he showered with us. We don't have a bath at our new house, so she will shower with us from the get-go.

My other essential is a good, supportive baby carrier eg a wrap, a Tula etc.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Mimina  (06-09-2016),Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    - stroller (do these come so that you can use them from newborn to toddler, or do I need to get separate ones?) - most do newborn to toddler, but once bub gets a bit bigger you might like to get an umbrella stroller which aren't really supportive or comfortable enough for a young baby, but are generally much lighter and take up heaps less space in the car.

- car seat (same question I guess - is it a capsule I need for a newborn?) - you can get a 0-4 years car seat, capsule isn't essential. You can however get a travel system which is a capsule which hooks onto your stroller, means you don't have to wake bub getting them in and out of the car. There are some risks associated with long periods of capsule use though so look into it to see if you want to use one. We had a 0-4 car seat for our first and it was fine, I won't get a capsule this time around.

- cot- necessary unless you want to co-sleep full-time

- change table (necessary?) - not necessary but very convenient

- clothes, nappies, bibs, wraps etc - obviously necessary

- baby bath (necessary? Or will the sink suffice?) - not necessary, I used ours for a couple of weeks then found the normal bath tub easier.

I'll come back if I think of anything else to add

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Changeable - My MIL told me I could change our baby on the floor or bed. We got a change table, and it's much better for my back. Changing on floor/bed hurts my back

Capsule - not necessary but convenient when bub was asleep as easier to get in and out of car without waking

Cot - necessity. We had a bassinet as well, but used it only a handful of times. She wouldn't settle in it, but was happy in the cot

Baby bath - pain in the butt to fill up. Not necessary. I used mine a few times but preferred the big bath

For me, I was glad I bought a breast pump when pregnant. My milk supply was crap and the hospital said to express after every feed. I was glad to not have to go straight out after leaving hospital, to buy a breast pump.

Also a swing was helpful. I had a mamaroo. DD spent so much time in that when she was a baby

Bottles
    Last edited by Lil Smurfy; 06-09-2016 at 20:10.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stroller/pram - some are suitable from birth through to toddler, it really depends what you're using it for (how much walking you do, indoor/outdoor etc). I think a good pram is an essential investment as you'll use it almost daily for years.

Car seats you can absolutely get ones suitable from birth up to 4 years (and I believe so even go up to 8 years?!). They will be reversible but be warned these generally take up more space than capsules - so ensure it fits in your car leaving the front passenger with a little leg room.

A cot is necessary - and you may also want to consider whether this will fit in your bedroom as it's highly likely you will want the baby in with you at least for the first 6 weeks or so. If you don't want the cot in your room you'll need a back up plan - cheap bassinets can be bought on gumtree etc or borrow one, we have borrow both times as only used for the first 8-10 weeks when we shifted babes into the nursery.

Change table - you could just buy the change table 'pad' and use this on a bed/bench/cabinet etc if you don't want to buy an actual change table. Just be warned that bending over a bed etc will be very hard on your back as you'll be changing between 5-10 nappies a day for about 2 years.

Baby bath not necessary - ideally you would have a regular bath at least, they won't fit in a sink for long, and showers mean you will always have to get wet with them.

I agree a carrier of some sort really is essential IMO. I would get one that you can use from birth, and that can be used facing both inward and outward. Babies don't always like prams, and there are places you just can't take prams, and babies get very heavy/occupy your arms. And newborns especially love to be carried ALOT.

Obviously they'll need season appropriate clothing - size 'generally' is 0000 for the first 1-2 months, 000 for the next 2-3 months, and so on, depending on how quick your Bub grows. Nappies - start with at least 2 jumbo boxes of newborn sized nappies. Wraps - light weight larger ones are great and can be used for a number of different things. Cloths - buy a huge pack of old-school terry cloth nappies to use for mopping up vomits etc. Bibs are also very useful from birth of your baby is spewy - saves changing their whole outfit for the sake of a little puke.

Can't think of anything else at present.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Mobile for cot

Baby blankets

Muslin wraps (biggest you can get)

Stroller pegs
    Wipes, LOTS

4 boxes of newborn nappies approx depends how big baby is when born

Nappy bag ( i have fun hang bag that fits everything I need as I don't like nappy bags)

0-6months dummy

Breast pads- boxes and boxes of them if your BF

Breast pumps

Bottle to match the pump

Steriliser

Bottle brush

Teething gel and chew for freezer

Change mat

Towels for baby only- Egyptian cotton as they are nice and soft

Face washers

Sudocream, paw paw, talc powder, shampoo, bath wash

Mini's of the above for nappy bag/travelling etc

Sippy cups and bowls for when older

Cot sheets both summer and winter

Quilt and quilt cover

Bassinet and cot protectors

Nail clippers

A few 0000 and 000 long leg onesie's and short leg onesie's

Singlet in all sizes

Winter hats

Socks

Black undies (5pairs) for after baby is born, if you have a c-sec they have to be full figure

Maternity pads

Maternity bra's - get fitted around 12 weeks and get good ones aswell.

Feeding singlets are really good aswell - bonds and target

Night time sleeping bras at target 2 for $25

Boomerang pillow

Baby on board signs for your cars

Change table- I got one from ikea that converts into a bookshelve when not in use then back to the change table. Can't think of the name of it but it's wooden, white and around $100 to $150 I think

For you not having s baby shower there is nothing stopping you from flying home and having a shower at your mums or best friends place. A friend of mine did this and we shipped everything to where she lived interstate
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 06-09-2016 at 20:32.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to say 1 super important item - a waterproof mattress protector for your bed (not babies' cot) - my waters broke in bed and it literally went everywhere. Your mattress is ruined if this happens (you cant clean the smell out apparently) and I was of the attitude "it wont happen to me" - well it did and I am SO glad that DH went out and got one 3 days before my waters broke. Also I used it for a few months as milk was leaking everywhere for quite a while and I was glad to keep it out of the mattress.

I think everything else has already been mentioned. You'll find what is necessary for you wont be for others so it can be hard to advise - eg we used a baby bath up until around 16ish months (he just sat in it when he started sitting independently - used way less water and he didn't slip and slide everywhere). However some people never use them. I bought a 0-4 carseat and have no regrets for never using a capsule (which by the way can be hired if you do want one).

My advice is to stick to the big things that are needed for practicality and safety (carseat, cot/bassinet and sheets, pram etc) - you can always pick up things you are not sure about once bub is here. But you will need way more than you think once you add in all the small stuff (clothes, sheets, nappies, wipes, butt cream, panadol, baby shampoo, a few toys (and a few more) - you get my drift).

No matter how much you try and control it you will still end up with a truckload of stuff (mainly from well meaning friends and family ).

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016),WinterJade  (06-09-2016),Yogis Mumma  (06-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This answer varies so much from person to person (and baby to baby!), I don't think there's any definitive list.

We ended up cosleeping so never used the expensive cot we bought. We did use the bassinet though, we kept it in the loungeroom and newborn DS would sleep in there during the day or evening when we were in the same room.
    I had low milk supply so never had any need for breast pads as I never leaked.
    We've never used or felt any need to use a change table, just a mat or cloth on the floor/bed.
    We never used tiny socks or fancy clothes, just stuck to simple onesies for the first few months.
    Never used the baby bath.

We did use old fashioned terry cloth square nappies for so much! Sometimes for nappies, but we also found them to be the best for catching and cleaning spew, or as makeshift change mats, or folded into little pillows, etc... We still keep a stack of them handy because they're so useful.
    We never used a swing or a bouncer, we just put him in the carrier and walked or bounced on the fitball.
    We did use Sudocrem, paw paw ointment and lansinoh, but nothing else. Never used the little cotton balls and tiny soft cloths and other random baby toiletries.
    Used regular pillows and cushions to help with breastfeeding comfort, an official "breastfeeding pillow" might have nice but it wasn't necessary.

We did use a wrap/carrier every day. Actually we still do 2 years later! Would definitely consider that an essential for any new parent

15. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definite YES YES YES to the old fashioned Towel nappies, great for spew rags and cleaning up after bub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another fan of the old terry cloth nappies over here! We use them as change table covers, to clean spills, as burp cloths, as sun shields clipped to the pram etc etc. We bought three packs all up- 36 was the prefect number for us!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-09-2016)