Maternity leave entitlements - can't trust my HR department to help | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity leave entitlements - can't trust my HR department to help

Hoping for some advice about paid parental leave as I can't really trust my human resources department to give me accurate information.

We only get about six weeks of paid maternity leave at my work. I also have almost eight weeks of annual leave saved up and will apply for the government paid leave, assuming there aren't any policy changed.

Can any of the ladies tell me which order you took your leave in to maximise your entitlements and minimise tax? We're really not doing well financially so I am trying to do the best I can from the outset with this. I wonder also if I will accrue annual leave the whole time I am off work? So if I'm off for six months, will I then get another two weeks at the end of it if I have four weeks' leave a year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mima38 View Post
    Hoping for some advice about paid parental leave as I can't really trust my human resources department to give me accurate information.

We only get about six weeks of paid maternity leave at my work. I also have almost eight weeks of annual leave saved up and will apply for the government paid leave, assuming there aren't any policy changed.

Can any of the ladies tell me which order you took your leave in to maximise your entitlements and minimise tax? We're really not doing well financially so I am trying to do the best I can from the outset with this. I wonder also if I will accrue annual leave the whole time I am off work? So if I'm off for six months, will I then get another two weeks at the end of it if I have four weeks' leave a year?

I don't know if it's changed in a few years since I had DD2, but I took my annual leave first, then my maternity leave started when my 4 weeks annual leave was up. I took my work maternity leave at half pay, and at the same time as the government paid leave.

You will accrue annual leave when you're on annual leave, but not when you're on unpaid leave.

Edited - I'm pretty sure you do accrue leave when you're on paid mat leave though
    Last edited by Anjalee; 06-09-2016 at 12:18.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

mima38  (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My work is that I have to take annual leave, then paid maternity and finally unpaid maternity leave (I was paid PPL during this time).

You will accrue AL during your annual leave but not maternity leave.

Do you have access to your company's policies? Or is it a smaller company?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-09-2016),mima38  (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in government and our policy states we can take in any format we wish. So I took annual leave at half pay, company mat leave and then govt mat leave. However I put one or two weeks breaks in between some of them so that I wouldn't go any longer than 3 months on unpaid leave. This meant I was still entitled to my full annual leave accrual during that time as annual leave stops accruing after more than 3 months unpaid leave (for where I work).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I took annual leave, then paid maternity leave, then give ppl.

This time I'll take annual leave, paid mat leave at half pay, then the govt ppl

With my work, annual leave accrues for any paid leave, but not unpaid leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're claiming all of this within the same financial leave I don't think it makes a difference for tax purposes. Tax can be minimised if you can claim the annual leave or employer funded paid mat leave at half pay - however your employer has no obligation to do this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About access to the company's policies, this is the problem. They are very shifty about things so you can never be too sure. I know several women at my work who were given a raw deal when they applied for leave so I want to try to get my facts straight before I apply for leave. Horrible shame I can't trust them but that's the situation. It's not a small company.

I will try to ask for leave at half pay but I don't know if they will go for it, or if we can afford for me to receive half pay. Honestly, I don't know how people have more than one child. It just seems so difficult financially.
    Last edited by mima38; 07-09-2016 at 13:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ask for a copy of their leave policy, they should be openly available for everyone on some kind of management system if it's a large company.
    If they won't supply it (so dodgy) then maybe try fair work in your state? They should be able to point you in the right direction

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

mima38  (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I'm not experienced with this, and so I do not have the right reply for you, but just wish you all the best. Hope everything goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The company I work for has to legally supply a copy of our enterprise agreement for us no questions asked. It has to be readily available for all staff in our staff room so that we can look up something straight away. It's also freely available online through our union website if your a member.