+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is it with gross eggs?

I'm getting so fed up. No matter what brand, free range or not, I get half a carton of eggs I end up throwing out because either the white stringy bit is so huge with a thick disgusting cord, or there are blood spots in the yolks

What's the deal? Is there a secret to buying eggs because I'm starting to go off them and I love eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just take that bit out. All tastes the same lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As someone who used to have a flock of beautiful heritage chickens, I find the shop bought eggs to be absolutely terrible. Even what they call 'free range' eggs are often tasteless - usually because the supermarket's suppliers idea of 'free-range' often just means the hens get a few feet of space to roam rather than several acres. Our hens used to have 5 acres to roam, lots of fresh grass to graze, and lord knows what they dug up in my gardens to eat! Their eggs were beautiful to look at and tasted amazing.

The 'white stringy' part of the egg whites you refer to are called the chalaza. This occurs in all eggs and its purpose is to suspend the yolk within the whites. Eating the chalaza is completely fine and you'll find they 'disappear' once cooked, but if you can't stomach them just remove with a teaspoon first. Likewise, the blood spots are just a small rupture in the yolk which occurs during the egg's formation and these too are perfectly safe to eat. Again, they can be removed with a teaspoon if you prefer, and neither is an indication of a poor quality egg

When we moved off our farm and into town I adopted my chickens out. I hated having to do it as they were lovely to own and I missed the eggs, and I cried when they left! We refuse to buy shop eggs on principle and instead I advertised for free range eggs on my local Buy Swap Sell. I went and visited the people who responded, ruled out the hens that were not truly free range or were not kept to my high standards, and settled on a sweet couple down the road whom I now buy exclusively from. Their girls roam around a farm and are happy, healthy hens. Their eggs are *almost* as good as the ones my girls laid!

I've waffled. Sorry I don't support many causes but the egg industry makes me sad overall and this is something I'm quite passionate about.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 05-09-2016 at 10:10.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-09-2016),gingermillie  (05-09-2016),Kristyj  (06-09-2016),Olive Oil  (05-09-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (05-09-2016),yadot  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP, we have gotten backyard hens this year and neither of those things are an indication of poor quality eggs.

If the albumin white is very thick and a lot more of it "clings" to the chalaza, this means the eggs are fresher - which is a good thing, but it does make it really hard to remove the stringy bit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The stringy bit doesn't bother me as much because I remove it but the blood spots in the yolk (especially when there are multiple spots) make me want to vomit. This is something I don't remember ever seeing so much of until recently.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianKangaroo For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought they were meant to be scanned for that. I've had cartons where more than half are full of blood spots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    The stringy bit doesn't bother me as much because I remove it but the blood spots in the yolk (especially when there are multiple spots) make me want to vomit. This is something I don't remember ever seeing so much of until recently.
    TBH when I had my chickens we didn't often get the blood spots.

I know that hens can be extremely susceptible to stress though and this can directly impact on their egg production. For example, I remember once a tree branch dropped onto the hen house roof. It made quite a racket and it stopped the ladies from laying for a day or two.

Once, we introduced some new hens to the coop and there was so much chaos in the flock that several hens laid banded eggs (shells that got double dipped in the formation process) and soft shelled eggs (thin like paper.)

I can only imagine that being trapped in a cage 24/7 (which is appalling for so many reasons) might impact on the quality of egg formation too...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only buy free range but from what you've said and what I've seen in the media, I might try to find someone local.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    I only buy free range but from what you've said and what I've seen in the media, I might try to find someone local.
    Like I said, after owning happy hens myself I am appalled at how production birds are kept. Many are stuck in tiny cages and never see grass their whole lives. And let's not kid ourselves, most chickens are only kept for a year, two at best, before they are slaughtered. Our girls lived a lot longer than that, I can tell you!

Some producers of eggs are better than others of course, but many of the hens who's eggs have 'free range' written on the box get less than a metre worth of roaming space. That is not conductive to happy birds IMO. There is something beautiful about walking into your garden and finding 20 hens, fuzzlebutts up in the air, digging for grubs.

If I had my way we'd still have our flock, but for now all I can do is support local people who do look after their birds well. And the eggs are so much nicer for it. Try your local Buy Swap Sell, or local markets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Curiously then, what would it mean if the white was more red and the yolk had more of a rose colour to it?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1473038535.081619.jpg

This was from a carton of RSPCA free range eggs. The rest of the eggs have been fine, no issues, but that colour really put me off.