+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Single umbilical artery

At my 13 weeks scan on Friday it was reported that the baby has a single umbilical artery or two vessel cord as it's also known, instead of a three vessel cord. It was made worse by the fact that at my 11 week scan I was told there were three vessels and had put the worry out of my head. At the scan the other organs, heart, brain, bladder, kidneys so far look normal. As its a PGD tested embryo I'm hoping there are no chromosomal issues. The Panorama NIPT results all came back low risk. My next scan is in 2 weeks. Just looking for any experiences with single umbilical artery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Green Lady,

Yes my daughter had this, due to a previous pregnancy loss also with this I was beside myself with worry.
    My loss of my other daughter WAS NOT caused by this either, but I was beyond hysterical when we found out they both had the same condition.

My daughter A was born at 37.5 planned C section due to being breach her weight was 5 pound 10 ounces. She spent 10 days in SCN due to her low birth weight, and for feeding issues.
    We had regular growth scans, we knew she was going to be little plus my OB added melatioin to help increase baby's weight.

She is now 8 months old and a very happy and thriving baby.

I hope this helps

Happy to talk more about this, on my phone can provide more details.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to francesthecat For This Useful Post:

Green lady  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Green Lady,

SUA in itself doesnt necessarily mean anything bad, and i was tossing us whether to reply with my story or not, but i feel like i needed to share the other side of this.

We lost our sweet angel at 28 weeks, she had a SUA and i had a placental hemmorage and from all testing and findings after she passed, it was put down to her having a SUA. It doesnt necessarily mean the worst, however in my case it did. I was due to have a growth scan a few weeks before we lost her, and it may have picked up that something wasn't right, we will never know.

There is a scan you can have that monitors the blood flow and percentage in the cord, it may be worthwhile asking your OB about this.

In hindsight, i wish i had done more research and pushed for things with my OB but as a first time mum, i just trusted what my caregivers said and never questioned it.

Sorry to tell you my story, there are many many positive stories out there, but unfortunately mine isnt one of them.

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Green lady  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying with both your experiences.Sorry for both of your losses. I am really worried about it as I have also lost a baby at 28 weeks, due to a different complication. I feel like it's déjà vu - something has been found that's of clinical significance but it is unknown whether the outcome will be good or bad. I'm having another scan in two weeks and then the 19 weeks scan will be 3 weeks after that. My intention is to have scans every 3 weeks to monitor things as I have done that in the past with my third baby after I'd lost my second baby.I will ask about the monitoring of the blood flow in the cord, thanks for that advice.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Single umbilical artery

Hey Green Lady, I had a 2 vessel umbilical cord with my 14 month old baby boy. I freaked out because I'd suffered a missed miscarriage the pregnancy before and I googled it, worse thing I could have done! With my experience my little guy was still getting everything he needed from the 2 vessels and it wasn't a problem. He was born June 2015 at 8 pound 4 ounces. His perfectly healthy, no problems from the umbilical cord being only 2 vessels. Hopefully your next ultrasound goes well, they will check the flow through the umbilical cord at your next ultrasound it should have blue and red colours going through it. All the best xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaniJezTysonBraydon For This Useful Post:

Green lady  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD (now 4) had an SUA too. Thankfully I didn't find out till birth. She was the last, worst looking embryo from my 9th cycle following 2 miscarriages in the few months beforehand with the best 2 looking embryos from the same cycle. The figures were slow to climb in the beginning & growth was small but after 12 weeks all scans & checks looked OK (amazed it wasn't picked up being I ivf but so so glad in the end...that was stress I didn't need!) I have a few extra kgs on me & measured over the whole last trimester but then my waters broke at 38+3 & this scrawny 6.1 little girl literally slid out (she was my 2nd birth ). That's when it was discovered. I was so relieved she came early & in my mind put it down to the fact that she wasn't getting what she needed & wanted out! They did a renal scan before they would discharge us as it can b associated with kidney issues but she was perfect. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems. I do always have it in the back of mind that if something comes up, could it be the SUA. If everything looks good & youve been thru pgd then perhaps it will b the same scenario as those of us for who it's been no issue....good luck