+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Going out when toilet training

Hi all,

DS is 2y10m and we are in the midst of toilet training. He's doing well (stayed dry for most of the day and has started asking or taking himself off when he needs to go). We've dedicated 3 days at home with him but eventually we will need to go out.

Any good tips? Not putting him back in nappies for going out so have to consider he will be in undies. He has gone 1.5 hours without weeing but equally has peed 3 times in 30 minutes so is quite unpredictable with frequency.

I'm thinking just try 30 minutes to the shops, and wee before we go if possible and then go to the toilet as soon as we get there?

Maybe bring the potty with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always used those training pants for outings that way no accidents and they can still easily use the toilet. You can get cloth ones or disposable. One difference between the disposable training pants and nappies is they feel wet when they wee. I have some great cloth ones too but they are better for around home as they can still leak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found putting a potty in the car was helpful. And my first trip was to the park so that it wouldn't be too obvious if there was an accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always put DD in pull up nappies when we went out for the first month or two after we toilet trained just in case. It didn't hold back her toilet training in any way, she was fine within a couple of days but there was no way I was going to have a puddle in the middle of coles if there was an accident!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We took the potty everywhere with us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bright Bots training pants. They are cotton undies with a thicker lining in the middle. It won't hold the wee like a nappy but it is often enough to prevent clothes from being wet and buys you time to get them to the toilet.
    I also bought a fold up portable toilet seat which I took everywhere. I never used a potty so there was no adjustment to make. My DS was toilet trained by 19 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took the potty everywhere for about a month. Mainly just for those occasions when the public loos are a bit disgusting and it's better for them to use potty instead. Also people may not like it but if we are at the park or need to stop car I will let him go on the grass. I figure it's not much different to a dog having a wee and better than disrupting the whole process by having accidents trying to find a toilet.

I always try to get him to go to toilet before we leave the house and if we are shopping for example I will go again before leaving shopping centre. Often he doesn't feel like going so I have to try and make it a novelty (oh look do you want to use the big boy toilet? You get to press the button if you go etc etc).

For the first few days when I was out I used to put him in undies with a pull up over the top. Bit strange but it meant he didn't feel like he was wearing a nappy and if he weed he would feel it but you had the protection if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've bought pea pods training pants, they are just like undies, but the gusset has a bit of absorbency. DD had an accident at the library last week, her pants were wet & needed changing, but there wasn't a puddle on the floor!
    My strategy is usually: try for a wee before leaving the house, go places that have toilets, if she's been drinking a lot of water I'll offer the toilet every 30 min. Sometimes it helps if I go first, then I say your turn now!
    We still use pull-ups for car trips over 1 hour.
    And I may be considered feral for this, but I've let her do a wee on the grass at parks where there's no public toilet. Would probably be easier with a boy.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks so much everyone. We will try our local shops and go to the toilets on the way in and out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We used a pull-up at first. We found on the first couple of outings he was dry when we got home, so then we switched to undies and it was all good.