+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm... not sure if mixed would happen any time soon (I did discuss this with DH too).

I don't necessarily believe that there is a difference in ability. I think that a contact sport like AFL would mean that men and women do not play together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I also say do we really believe the women want to play with the men?

I think its fantastic we have a women's league. And what the women (and supporters) want is to have the same opportunities as the men - but in their own league.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Yeah, you're right op...sounds a bit like unconscious biases.

And @BigRedV I heard recently that that isn't true. If women were encourage/treated the same as men then they would be able to be just as strong as men in most cases. Not sure where I heard that though.
    This sounds a bit fishy. I can drink all the protein shakes until the cows come home and work out all day but I'm not going to get any taller. Height does come into play with respect to strength.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    This sounds a bit fishy. I can drink all the protein shakes until the cows come home and work out all day but I'm not going to get any taller. Height does come into play with respect to strength.
    I agree. DH and I are still discussing this.

We were watching a marking contest where half a dozen women fell in a heap (as you do!). Imagine if you were a female on the bottom of that woth half a dozen men landing on you. With the difference in weight (as an average at their peak fitness for the sport) men will always weigh more. And that could be more dangerous for injury.

So the way I see it - it has nothing to do with ability. It is physicality. And since it is a contact sport physicality is a big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I doubt we will ever have a mixed league, but that doesn't mean that some women would be just as good as some male AFL players. I just can't see our society ever accepting a mixed league.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I agree. DH and I are still discussing this.

We were watching a marking contest where half a dozen women fell in a heap (as you do!). Imagine if you were a female on the bottom of that woth half a dozen men landing on you. With the difference in weight (as an average at their peak fitness for the sport) men will always weigh more. And that could be more dangerous for injury.

So the way I see it - it has nothing to do with ability. It is physicality. And since it is a contact sport physicality is a big deal.
    But there are some male players who are very light in weight who don't seem to get squashed and seriously injured. Why would it be any different for a female?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (04-09-2016),VicPark  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Look at the size of the players, these guys are huge. Most women are not built like that without steroids. Even if women are tall and have a lot of muscle they are not that size naturally.
    And most men wouldn't tackle or get rough with a woman the way the do with men. It's just nature, it's not sexist.
    I don't understand why women try to compete with men, it's not a competition who is better at this or that, it's not a war. Women and men are different, biologically, emotionally and physically.
    I don't think that men not wanting to tackle women is nature, I think it's a learned behavior.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (03-09-2016),KitiK  (04-09-2016),MrsTugs  (04-09-2016),VicPark  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    But there are some male players who are very light in weight who don't seem to get squashed and seriously injured. Why would it be any different for a female?
    But they play in positions where they do not necessarily have to bein such situations.

Take for example a ruckman. Usually between 190-200+cm as a male. You have a male and a female who are both talented at rucking. Honestly it can be difficult to have such a tall female so she may not be as tall and she will definitely not have the weight behind her. So she will pretty much not be able to play that position.

Same with a lot of forwards. The only positions where size may not matter as much would be if you are a small forward and possibly in the midfield. But how is it fair for the female who could never play as a ruckman (ruckwoman?) because physically she does not measure up. That is not fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    But they play in positions where they do not necessarily have to bein such situations.

Take for example a ruckman. Usually between 190-200+cm as a male. You have a male and a female who are both talented at rucking. Honestly it can be difficult to have such a tall female so she may not be as tall and she will definitely not have the weight behind her. So she will pretty much not be able to play that position.

Same with a lot of forwards. The only positions where size may not matter as much would be if you are a small forward and possibly in the midfield. But how is it fair for the female who could never play as a ruckman (ruckwoman?) because physically she does not measure up. That is not fair.
    Maybe it doesn't have to be 'fair' across the board. There are many many males that also can't be ruckmen because they don't measure up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that mixed teams will ever happen. I guess I just think that in an ideal world, it would be possible for us to disregard sex when picking the best players.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (04-09-2016),VicPark  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Maybe it doesn't have to be 'fair' across the board. There are many many males that also can't be ruckmen because they don't measure up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that mixed teams will ever happen. I guess I just think that in an ideal world, it would be possible for us to disregard sex when picking the best players.
    I suppose my point may be that someone that would be great at something if it were a female only league cannot play as a male is better - so they will be chosen. And would the teams be expected to pick x amount of women? So is it then fair or equal for women?

I totally see where you are coming from btw.

I am just happy there is a female league starting. And I do hope that equality will not necessarily come from playing mixed team but they get fair recognition, remuneration and respect.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (04-09-2016),sajimum  (04-09-2016)