Women - as good as men (AFL chat) | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Women - as good as men (AFL chat)

So, I just had a bit of a chat with DH... I am feeling a little dissapointed by the outcome of our conversation (maybe because I have 2 daughters and 1 son...). We were talking AFL Football - its on TV and I said something along the lines of: "Wont it be nice in x number of years when we get to watch AFL with mixed teams based on ability not s*x". To which he replied "that will never happen, women will never equal men in (my words) strength, agility, power."

I was really peeved. Not just about the physicality (which I tried to explain by saying some individual women may outpower men) as an outlier, but at the fact he was so matter of fact about it and wasn't willing to enter a discussion or debate about it (other than displaying his frustration and disagreement by walking off to the shed).

Am I being unrealistic or over sensitive? I feel if nothing else he maybe should have agreed to demonstrate to my girls that they can be as good, if not better than men at sport - or ANYTHING really!

*annoyed and frustrated* femo*grr*

Edit - DH is trying to justify his comment by saying that as a man he couldn't play *rough* with women on field like he would with a man... I told him that is a learned bias and he needs to challenge his values amd assumptions... am I wrong?

Pps: I have been questioning my judgement a bit lately - sort of feel like I am surrounded by aliens 😕
    Last edited by KitiK; 03-09-2016 at 19:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well I agree with him that it will never happen.

I think that women can be stronger than men, but if you look at the world records, men are always faster, higher, stronger etc. That's not discrimination, that is fact.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016),eyelet80  (03-09-2016),giveitago  (03-09-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (03-09-2016),KitiK  (03-09-2016),loislane2010  (06-09-2016),PipersMummy  (04-09-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yeah, you're right op...sounds a bit like unconscious biases.

And @BigRedV I heard recently that that isn't true. If women were encourage/treated the same as men then they would be able to be just as strong as men in most cases. Not sure where I heard that though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well I agree with him that it will never happen.

I think that women can be stronger than men, but if you look at the world records, men are always faster, higher, stronger etc. That's not discrimination, that is fact.
    I totally get that @BigRedV, but out of all of the ppl that want to play AFL (men and women) all of the men will always be more fit/strong/agile than all the women in the mix? I was just upset I guess that he thought out of 200 men and women (100v100) that 100 men would always be better than all of the women - even 1)...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Yeah, you're right op...sounds a bit like unconscious biases.

And @BigRedV I heard recently that that isn't true. If women were encourage/treated the same as men then they would be able to be just as strong as men in most cases. Not sure where I heard that though.
    Look, I think women are awesome. The discrimination by some commentators in the last Olympics was horrific. But the bottom line is that men have more muscle mass than women because of testosterone. It's basic science. Yes, some women are faster/stronger than some men but women's bodies are different to men. We generally have wider hips to cater for pregnancy. Our bodies are different.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016),babyno1onboard  (03-09-2016),eyelet80  (03-09-2016),KitiK  (03-09-2016),loislane2010  (06-09-2016),Marchbundle  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Women - as good as men (AFL chat)

Some women are faster, stronger, etc than some men but on average men are faster, stronger, etc. It's just the way nature made our bodies. I see no reason why there shouldn't be mixed teams but I think there won't be many women who make the cut and teams will be predominantly male.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Some women are faster, stronger, etc than some men but on average men are faster, stronger, etc. It's just the way nature made our bodies. I see no reason why there shouldn't be mixed teams but I think there won't be many women who make the cut and teams will be predominantly male.
    I agree - most teams would be predominantly male in the AFL - but not ALL male all the time. I guess I was just trying to emphasise that it depends on a lot of things - the number and quality of people competing, and their skill level not necessarily thier sex. I see plenty of men in the street I could overpower and I am nothing special. I was trying to stress the evaluation of individuals on the basis of merit/abilty not sex... I feel I was met with a very macho sexist, inconsiderate response.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Look at the size of the players, these guys are huge. Most women are not built like that without steroids. Even if women are tall and have a lot of muscle they are not that size naturally.
    And most men wouldn't tackle or get rough with a woman the way the do with men. It's just nature, it's not sexist.
    I don't understand why women try to compete with men, it's not a competition who is better at this or that, it's not a war. Women and men are different, biologically, emotionally and physically.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016),PipersMummy  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I agree - most teams would be predominantly male in the AFL - but not ALL male all the time. I guess I was just trying to emphasise that it depends on a lot of things - the number and quality of people competing, and their skill level not necessarily thier sex. I see plenty of men in the street I could overpower and I am nothing special. I was trying to stress the evaluation of individuals on the basis of merit/abilty not sex... I feel I was met with a very macho sexist, inconsiderate response.
    There are plenty of men I could over power too, particularly when I used to work out and was in my prime. But AFL players are the elite (well in terms of strength and speed!) of the men, no way I could overpower one of them no matter how hard I trained.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with him to a point. In the professional AFL I don't think there will ever be mixed teams. Maybe in the more social leagues, sure. I go to the football religiously and I just don't think the women can entirely match the physicality of the game. A month or so ago there was a women's game being played at the Gabba after one of the Lions matches so we hung around to watch. Some of the girls were amazing, but the game just lacked the same physicality of the Lions game that was played previously. And these girls were the ones being talked about as the future stars of the inaugural women's league. I don't think it's an issue of discrimination, it's just the way it is. Sure there are probably going to be some women players who are better skilled players than some of the blokes, but the blokes might then be 200cm tall and 100kg in comparison.

I think it's great that they're finally starting up a women's league. We will be watching!