+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I would say that the behaviour is not acceptable but not abnormal. If a child was doing this ALL the time then something is definitely wrong, but if it's a one-Off, especially in the context of a child seeing another child doing that behaviour and then mimicking, I think that's "normal" 4.5yr old behaviour.

My son doesn't play any video games and doesn't watch anything violent on TV but he can definitely be aggressive especially if someone else is aggressive to him first. And sometimes it just comes out of nowhere. He knows what is right and wrong, he feels empathy, but sometimes those things are completely absent from his mind and he will do something really mean to his 2yr old brother: when asked why he did it he will say "I don't know".

I've not met a parent with a boy this age who hasn't been through this.
    Well you have now. Neither of my boys displayed this behaviour at 4.5 that's for sure. At 3 yes, 4 no. They know what is acceptable and what isn't by aged 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Well you have now. Neither of my boys displayed this behaviour at 4.5 that's for sure. At 3 yes, 4 no. They know what is acceptable and what isn't by aged 4.
    But surely this makes your boys abnormal and the OPs normal?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-09-2016),Full House  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    KG. Children still lack impulse control when they are preschoolers so getting caught up in the moment like OP's son did in this instance is pretty normal. Of course it's unacceptable but like WW said, it's not abnormal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (05-09-2016),witherwings  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    But surely this makes your boys abnormal and the OPs normal?
    Well behaved knowing right from wrong at that age. But my children weren't and aren't exposed to violence from games either which I think is the issue with the ops child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Well behaved knowing right from wrong at that age. But my children weren't and aren't exposed to violence from games either which I think is the issue with the ops child.
    But my children have never been exposed to any violence yet are still capable of hurting another child. Yes she knows right from wrong and it would be a rare occasion. But 4 is still 4. Not an adult.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    But my children have never been exposed to any violence yet are still capable of hurting another child. Yes she knows right from wrong and it would be a rare occasion. But 4 is still 4. Not an adult.
    And my children have all been exposed to the ultra violence of minecraft and none of them have shown any violent tendencies AT ALL. ever.

Go figure.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (05-09-2016),witherwings  (05-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My kids just don't hit other children. Ever. But my gosh they fight with each other

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    And my children have all been exposed to the ultra violence of minecraft and none of them have shown any violent tendencies AT ALL. ever.

Go figure.
    I won't even say what ex FOB allowed DS1 to play and see when he was that age . DS1 wouldn't hurt a fly and never did as a child either. Poor baby used to cry if he trod on an ant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

Go figure.
    The ultra violence of minecraft 😂😂😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't blame minecraft my DS plays it by himself and with his direct friends we know online. He wouldn't hurt a fly let alone best someone up. Kids will be kids and sometimes I think that some kids will just copy what others have done thinking it is alright until they are told off and or disciplined by a parent or a teacher as the kids think it's playtime until someone gets hurt.