+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think a bit of rough behaviour is quite common around children of that age, and you dealt with it well. However, I do think violent screen time doesnt help. Studies have shown quite conclusively that violent tv and 'video games' have a huge impact on children's own violent behaviour, and particularly their empathy. So they will hurt another child and not really care about the impact of their behaviour on the child. Sorry to say I cant link to any studies, as they are in child development and education journals that I've accessed at uni. But it is a topic I've studied at a tertiary level, and I personally avoid violent screen time for my own children because of this.
    Have you played minecraft?

I hesitate to get involved as I really don't care about the debate but to lump minecraft in with other violent video games is a bit spurious. It's not anything like those games. And for younger kids those aspects of the game can be turned off.

Minecraft is considered a valuable tool by many kids with special needs. Pokemon has animals fighting each other. There's an element in many games.

My kids play minecraft. Their psychologist recommended it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (04-09-2016),Blessedwith3boys  (05-09-2016),FearlessLeader  (04-09-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I hesitate to get involved as I really don't care about the debate but to lump minecraft in with other violent video games is a bit spurious. It's not anything like those games. And for younger kids those aspects of the game can be turned off.

Minecraft is considered a valuable tool by many kids with special needs. Pokemon has animals fighting each other. There's an element in many games.

The recommended age was 8+ wasn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Default Something my son did :-(

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    The recommended age was 8+ wasn't it?
    Depends on what mod you're playing with.

Creative mode has no monsters in it. Even in survival mode it can be set to peaceful.

If kids are playing on their own (ie not linked) and in a simple mod they will build complex worlds which any kid who loves lego can enjoy. Even if there is violence it's completely unrealistic (only my older 2 are allowed to play survival).
    Last edited by Sonja; 04-09-2016 at 17:13.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (04-09-2016),Wise Enough  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I don't think it's normal behaviour for a 4.5 year old as they know right from wrong at this age. Younger perhaps but not this age! I would say it is to do with what he is watching on his ipad.
    I would say that the behaviour is not acceptable but not abnormal. If a child was doing this ALL the time then something is definitely wrong, but if it's a one-Off, especially in the context of a child seeing another child doing that behaviour and then mimicking, I think that's "normal" 4.5yr old behaviour.

My son doesn't play any video games and doesn't watch anything violent on TV but he can definitely be aggressive especially if someone else is aggressive to him first. And sometimes it just comes out of nowhere. He knows what is right and wrong, he feels empathy, but sometimes those things are completely absent from his mind and he will do something really mean to his 2yr old brother: when asked why he did it he will say "I don't know".

I've not met a parent with a boy this age who hasn't been through this.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Renn  (04-09-2016),Wise Enough  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Something my son did :-(

Depends on what mod you're playing with.
    I know this is really going on a tangent but I can't imagine what minecraft would offer a 4yr old that good old fashioned Lego/duplo/building blocks/magnatiles can't offer.

Personally I'm against video games at any age for my kids, and even if my husband started playing games I would be upset about it but that's just me. Not judging anyone else..

But the OP was specifically referring to killing zombies so obviously her 4.5yr old isn't just building cities and exploring VR Worlds..
    Last edited by witherwings; 04-09-2016 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Given how many parents have posted in this thread saying they have been through it that it's completely normal. My kids have never played a violent video game, it's all barbies and babies, yet they are still capable of hurting someone

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

misho  (05-09-2016),witherwings  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I know this is really going on a tangent but I can't imagine what minecraft would offer a 4yr old that good old fashioned Lego/duplo/building blocks/magnatiles can't offer.

Personally I'm against video games at any age for my kids, and even if my husband started playing games I would be upset about it but that's just me. Not judging anyone else..

But the OP was specially referring to killing zombies so obviously her 4.5yr old isn't just building cities and exploring VR Worlds..
    I know which is why I wasn't interested until people started mentioning violent games, and I don't think minecraft (in any mode) is a violent game.

Look I hate video games. I have never played them. But my kids love minecraft. I have tried to learn as much about it as possible including speaking at length to my eldest's psychologist. It has a lot of things in it that challenge kids and they love. They haven't shown any negative impacts of it and sit together and build worlds. It's played by the majority of the kids my kids play with. It's their language and they love it. They love that we as parents never played it. It teaches them team building and development in a subtle not in your face way.

I could prattle on forever. It's worth knowing about as its here to stay. Be glad it's not in your home but don't be surprised when it comes in at some stage and doesn't leave

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (04-09-2016),witherwings  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know which is why I wasn't interested until people started mentioning violent games, and I don't think minecraft (in any mode) is a violent game.

Look I hate video games. I have never played them. But my kids love minecraft. I have tried to learn as much about it as possible including speaking at length to my eldest's psychologist. It has a lot of things in it that challenge kids and they love. They haven't shown any negative impacts of it and sit together and build worlds. It's played by the majority of the kids my kids play with. It's their language and they love it. They love that we as parents never played it. It teaches them team building and development in a subtle not in your face way.

I could prattle on forever. It's worth knowing about as its here to stay. Be glad it's not in your home but don't be surprised when it comes in at some stage and doesn't leave
    I really appreciate this! I'm sure there will be a point in the near future where DS begs for this game and at the very least will be playing it at friends' houses. It's good to know the positive aspects of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I really appreciate this! I'm sure there will be a point in the near future where DS begs for this game and at the very least will be playing it at friends' houses. It's good to know the positive aspects of it.
    When my kids were younger I could never have imagined I would let them play video games. I have zero interest in them as does DH. So it's not something they got from us. We've actually lost contact with friends who are gamers as it just doesn't interest us in the slightest.

But my kids are obsessed with it. Does my head in some days which is why I asked the psych about it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have absolutely no idea at all about the game minecraft, so definitely not judging that game as being violent at all. It was just the OP's comment about the potential effect of playing violent games, and the comment about killing zombies (which might happen in a different game?) So I am definitely not referring to any one game in particular. Just pointing out that there IS a link between violent games and violence in children, and the effect it has on the child's empathy.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016),VicPark  (05-09-2016),witherwings  (04-09-2016)