Administration roles advice | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Administration roles advice

I've been working in admin/finance for 10yrs in a fairly generic type business and whilst I've gained a lot of skills they are specific to an industry.

The kids and I are getting older so it's time to look for more than a part time job.

I'm tossing up between contracts administration in construction or a paralegal course. I have an degree and a master so it's more about honing into a specific area.

Anyone had experience in either industry that could offer some insights to each one?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What would you like to know? Im a paralegal out west. I started at the bottom, reception, and worked my way up. My experience out here is that the jobs are few and far between and you have to wait for someone to die, have a baby or retire to get in. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere though. In my experience, uni will teach you the background knowledge of why but not the practical knowledge of how things are necessarily done. Most paralegals I work with and come across are not institutionally qualified but rather are experts in their field from working on the job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a paralegal in Adelaide. Personally I think that unless you're looking for a career in the law it's probably not the best option. My background is admin but I am halfway through my law degree. All the paralegals I know are either law students or graduates. Law graduate positions are so scarce here that most have to go via a paralegal role. Hence competition for those roles is fierce! But it might be different where you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I agree with @Maia on the job experience is much more valuable than theory in these roles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Administration roles advice

I'm not sure what I want to know but everyone's response are kind of telling me answers if that makes sense. I don't want to go back and do law but regret not doing it when I had the chance. Admin is something I seem to have made my working life so looking to what can be a long term.

Contracts administration courses seem to be construction industry centred and given the level of construction going on struck me as an area that would have longevity. Paralegal I wasn't so sure of.

I have no job experience either but currently work 4 days a week and was hoping to volunteer somewhere to get experience knowing also I will have to start at the bottom of either area which is a major financial hit to us.

I guess I'm a bit lost, I'm 40, my part time work may end in the new year and I don't know where to go from what I've been doing except to know that I want something more.

ETA: I'm in Melbourne