Starting pediasure for on a 2 year old | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Starting pediasure for on a 2 year old

I second what LMS said. I get the frustration when they refuse all the time. It's tedious, it's hard work, it's all consuming, day in, day out.

I hate seeing DS especially when he's next to kids younger than him (more than a year sometimes) who weigh more than him. But other than a speech 'delay' he's healthy, meeting all milestones but is just tiny (2 at the end of the month and still not even 10kgs and well under all percentile lines.

But long story short, he's still gaining weight albeit very slowly and health professionals aren't concerned so I need to heed their advice or I'd be a mental case at each 'meal' time.

Please have a read through this site, it has been a godsend to me http://ellynsatterinstitute.org/htf/iwfr1.php
    Last edited by A-Squared; 03-09-2016 at 20:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you, I will take some points on board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How much does she weigh?
    Some kids are just small.

My DS is a massively picky eater.
    He barely eats at all some days. Tells me he is hungry so i offer a dizen things then he says nah ill just have my drink bottle of water.

I wouldnt give any food supplement without proper advice of a pead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I have the same issues with my almost 2yo. She is healthy so I no longer weigh her (she goes through weight loss, no weight gain etc). She goes between 5 and 8%. To me it seems like she doesn't eat much but clearly it's enough for her to have the energy to do everything in the day and to be learning new things all the time.

If she is otherwise well and healthy, I wouldn't bother stressing yourself or even getting her weighed anymore.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was a "failure to thrive " kid from 6mths to 4yrs...skin and bones really (below the 3rd percentile...not even on the chart...He was 9.5kg at 2.5) I supplemented where I could with good fats, high calories, nutrient dense food. He's 10.5yo now and perfectly healthy, in fact probably a little chubby for his age. He simy grew out of it and started gaining. I didn't worry too much as he was healthy, active and achieving all his milestones.
    Is your DD achieving her milestones? Active? Happy?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016),Mamasupial  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting pediasure for on a 2 year old

I agree with pp on that you need to look at whether she is otherwise healthy.

Achieving milestones?
    Is she lethargic/sleeping too much
    Is her hair shiny? Nails growing?

You get what I mean. DS2 eats like a sparrow. Has a VERY narrow range of foods and it's a constant battle to get him to eat. He is 4 next month and weighs about 13kgs - he's not even on the percentile chart 😱

BUT he's full of energy, hair shiny and strong, nails are not brittle, he is learning and curious. He is just little period. Someone has to be little and someone has to be big or there wouldn't be a curve on the chart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to read you are still worried about your DD weight! Like pps have said if she's meeting milestones and healthy try not to worry. My DS 21 yrs old weighs 48 kgs! He was and is a fussy eater. Never finishes a meal. Never has but he's healthy and happy.

I was you 20 odd years ago stressed to the max comparing him to other boys his age and trying to get him to eat ! But I just had to learn to accept that he was fussy and he would be skinny! I worry about him now. Hes 21 but still my baby lol. When he was 18 he had a check up and was told he was 5 kgs under weight for his age and height. We went to dietician and got a weight gain plan. Didn't work. He has a fast metabolism and doesn't gain weight much at all. In 3 years he's put on 2 kgs. He is so skinny you can see his ribs and he wears XS-S men's size.

Please try not to worry ! If she's meeting milestones and healthy and happy then focus on that.

Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good morning all, thank you so much for your responses, she has been sleeping the past week or so during the day, which is odd. She dropped her day naps months and months ago.

Her hair is shiny, and nails growing, she has energy and runs and does happy screams.

She is back to under 10kg.

I've offered toast and it's been rejected. *sigh*

Last night she had close to half an avocado. I was really happy with that. I'm hoping she goes back to loving avocados.

We often wonder how she survives on milk and water.

I hope I've answered everyone's questions. If not please ask again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember your posts & I can see how worried you are about DD's weight. However, you have been repeatedly told by dr's that she is fine, just healthy and small. My dd has been under the 3% for most of her life, and was less than 10kg at 3yo. Statistically, 3 kids out of every 100 need to be on the 3%. Your girl is one of those 3, as is mine Honestly, if all the many medical professionals you have seen say she is fine, it is very very likely she is fine. IME, if they are worried about your child's weight gain,they are VERY proactive. I had two failure to thrive babies, & when there actually is an issue, the paed will take action. If you are still worried, maybe you could see a dietician to help you with her eating habits - but I really dont think supplementation is a good choice unless there are medical issues.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-09-2016),BornToBe  (04-09-2016),gingermillie  (04-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS was at the height of his fussiness (milk, savoy crackers, vanilla yoghurt, tasty cheese, peas, corn, plain pasta, toast with butter - plus sleeping dreadfully and getting sick all the time) I looked at pediasure as I couldn't even hide Vita sprinkles on his food he was that insistent on plain food. I was shocked that is was mostly sugar. I added a scoop of toddler formula into his milk instead as it had the vitamins but was higher in protein.

FWIW both my not-fussy and my fussy eater were both still having 3x 200ml bottles of milk at 2. Removing it never helped my fussy eater eat (just made him wake more at night asking for milk) and I never felt the need to remove it for my good eater. DH also drinks lots of milk. We go through about 14l a week with an 8yo & 3yo!