+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Questions for kindy

Hi everyone.
    My 5yr old will start kindy (nsw..public school) next year and i was wondering what to ask the teacher on orientation day??
    Also suggestions on things that in hind sight you wished you had known before your LO started school??
    TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That everything is labeled that there is a spot for everything to go and that recess and lunch is separated and that we needed a towel for rest time. We are from wa though which is 4 yr old kindy and i missed the orientation day as I was having a baby. But I wouldn't worry too much as you will muddle through and I'm sure they expect there to be confusion at the start

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and when I mean label I mean everything they wear and take including undies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS started kindy this year! They gave us a ton of info which was good and I asked a few questions,
    These are the things I wanted to know:
    How many kids in the class
    Who the teacher was and if there were any teachers aids
    School times ( our kindy boys start later and finish earlier)
    Recess and lunch times
    School food policy (nut free etc)
    What other classes they offer ( music/language etc)
    Sport
    Uniform requirements
    P and C groups
    Homework policy
    Before/After school care info
    Excursions/reports/communication between teacher/parent
    Bullying policy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-09-2016),OS&N  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot for your replies!
    Regarding homework ...was it a must that what was given had to be done on time? Im just thinking that its usually 6pm by the time we get home and doing it everyday would be tough!
    Bullying was another think i had on my mind to ask.

Plus that horrible assault that happened to the 6yr old girl makes me definitely ask how supervised will the kindy kids be when not in class...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes with homework what they give, when it's due and if it is compulsory ( we don't get homework in kindy - just sight words and home readers from term 2 to be done at the child's pace)
    Ask them also where kindy has lunch and where they play ( our infants school k-2 has a separate lunch and play area)
    Oh and ask if they get buddies - DS has a year 6 buddy who is amazing ( they spend 1/2 an hour a week with their buddies doing craft/sport/play and the buddies help them with sport and fund raising days)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Questions for kindy

I looked on the school website to find out some of the information I wanted. Every NSW public school would have a school plan and annual school report on their website and that will give you a load of info about the school's direction and goals and what programs they offer (eg. Art, music, dance etc.)

For me, I asked about the way they teach literacy in the early years and what reading program they do in years 3-6. If they do L3 in K-2 and are an early action for success school then I would think you've hit the jackpot

I wanted to know how many students there were in the school. Class sizes were not an issue since NSW public schools have capped classes.

Do they implement PBL (positive behaviour for learning)
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-09-2016 at 17:49.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I looked on the school website to find out some of the information I wanted. Every NSW public school would have a school plan and annual school report on their website and that will give you a load of info about the school's direction and goals and what programs they offer (eg. Art, music, dance etc.)

For me, I asked about the way they teach literacy in the early years and what reading program they do in years 3-6. If they do L3 in K-2 and are an early action for success school then I would think you've hit the jackpot

I wanted to know how many students there were in the school. Class sizes were not an issue since NSW public schools have capped classes.

Do they implement PBL (positive behaviour for learning)
    Oh yeah the school website has lots of info...mainly regarding lietracy and numeracy.
    I just thought there might be points that i don't know i should ask so should doublecheck with other mums first!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OS&N View Post
    Oh yeah the school website has lots of info...mainly regarding lietracy and numeracy.
    I just thought there might be points that i don't know i should ask so should doublecheck with other mums first!!
    Yeh it's good to ask as you might hear something you wouldn't think of asking.

But it depends on what you find important too as you might value something different to me

Homework would be a big one for me too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following