Snuza with CoSleeper mattress? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Snuza with CoSleeper mattress?

Hi All,

Paranoid father here.

We have a 6 week old who will only sleep with us VERY close by, and refuses to sleep in a crib or basinnette.

We ave resorted to bed sharing, however using this product to hopefully make it a bit safer: http://www.toysrus.com.au/the-first-...ecure-sleeper/

I am still rather paranoid, so am looking for a baby movement / breathing monitor. I like the look of the Snuza Hero due to it's portability and size, however there are some conflicting information regarding cosleeping.

The official site says it is not recommended for bed sharing or twins because it can pick up external movements, however other sites and forums say that it doesnt pick up their movement.

My question is: Does anyone use the Snuza while bed sharing? And would using the cosleeper create enough of a barrier to hide my movements while sleeping?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I use the Snuza with my son breastfeeding/sleeping next to me and also in his co-sleeper cot, so a bassinet that clips to our bed and it will still go off if it looses contact with his tummy or for another reason so I haven't had a problem with it picking up my movements. Our breathing monitor that goes under the mattress of our proper cot does pick up movements from the bed next to it or the fan but I haven't had that experience with the Snuza as it rests on their tummy so if it doesn't feel the tummy move up and down it alerts.

Eta: I'm the only one that sleeps with the baby though, my husband sleeps in another room. Mostly so he doesn't get woken but also because it's dangerous to have anyone other than a breastfeeding mother sleep with the baby so make sure your wife is always between you and the baby if you do stay in the bed.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-09-2016 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have coslept with all three of my kids from very early on, and in fact with my last two I didn't ever bother setting up a cot for either of them. But, I am always vigilant with following the safe sleeping guidelines. And like the previous poster, my husband does not sleep in bed with me and the baby. He sleeps in the spare room.

I have never used a snuza, but I have heard good things about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Op this is a good site for safe co-sleeping research and guidelines

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

And a co-sleeper cot like the bednest is also great at keeping baby next to you but in their own safe sleep space if you're nervous about using the product you listed.

This is the bednest:
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1472892235.883092.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aw that bednest is gorgeous.

OP I can't really see why anyone would need a monitor when bed sharing with a baby. They will be so close by. Monitors are designed to alert you when you can't see or hear baby (another room). You'll find that mum will be in tune with baby's movement and both will wake lightly and naturally through the night, resetting baby's breathing patterns. The science behind it is really amazing when you start to read into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Op the snuza is a great monitor for peace of mind in any sleep scenario. Whilst I avidly believe bed sharing is unsafe, I still understand why many do it. I think the snuza is great idea as is the bed nest suggested by pp above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a snuza until my DS moved into his cot as we couldn't use the motion detectors in our bassinet. They are a wonderful monitor.

We bed share now, (10 months) but didn't in the early newborn phase. I would recommend looking up the 7 safe bedsharing guidelines, i.e: not having the baby between parents, breast feeding etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've used the Snuza on my 2nd bub and currently using it with #3 (he's 8 months). It is a brilliant monitor however I don't bed share (both asleep). I have often brought bub into our bed at around 5am and he's slept close but I've been too paranoid to sleep. I can see the flashing light of the monitor and it does only register his breathing as the monitor points in towards baby's tummy. I guess it could pick up other movements if you were a restless sleeper or lying tummy to tummy with bub on its side (NOT recommended), but it would definitely give you some extra peace of mind if you practiced safe co-sleeping.

There is another monitor I've read about which is a little sock (I think it's called the Owlet?) - that registers heart beat and o2 levels I think, so might be a little safer for bed sharing?
    Last edited by weightbegone; 04-09-2016 at 11:17.