+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 2 DD's with really common names. I think both were between top 1-5 for about 5 years and both are still top 10. With DD1 its never bothered me because we dont know that many girls with the same and in her school of 350 there are 2 other girls with the same name. However with DD2 I had a lot of name regret for a few years as we just kept coming across her name everywhere on females between the age of 0 & 25. At kinder last year out of 50 kids there were 4 girls with the same name. This year at school out of 350 kids there are only 2 other girls with the same name and they are both in Grade 6.

Interestingly at the school there are 3 Laura's, 3 Courtney's and 3 Greta's. Names that are not popular at the moment, but they are just as common in the school yard as the top 10 names.

All of that said, when I look at DD2 I couldnt imagine her being called anything other than the beautiful, classic, name that she has.

Really not sure if this is helpful or not

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I met a 3 day old Elsie Mae today. A beautiful name you don't hear much

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For DS1, there were two names I loved (and had done so for years). Unfortunately, one was in the top 10 that year and the other was in the top 20.

We went with the top 20 name.... and I swear every third boy in our area is called that! Meanwhile, I haven't met a single child DS1's age who has the other name. So the popularity of a name Australia-wide is not necessarily an indication of how many kids will have the same name in your local area.

Meanwhile, we used a name that wasn't even top 100 for DS2 - plenty of people have clearly never heard this name before. And yet there is another child at his daycare centre with the same name!

I would say that in hindsight, it may have been easier if I had chosen a less popular name for DS1.

ETA: On reflection, I don't wish that we had chosen a different name for DS1 - I wish that everyone else had chosen a different name!
    Last edited by Gentoo; 02-09-2016 at 18:20.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I met a 3 day old Elsie Mae today. A beautiful name you don't hear much
    My little girl is going to be called Elsie 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    My little girl is going to be called Elsie
    It's such a beautiful name

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    My little girl is going to be called Elsie 😊
    I love Elsie too

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't use a top ten name. I already have two quite popular names and it kind of grates on me at times, meeting new friends who have children with the same name. I prefer more unusual names.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't use it I nearly didn't use my dd2s name as it was 90 something in 2015 top 100 which is quite high. Growing up with a common name (which I was never called as I'd be developed some nickname to identify me from the other 10 with the same name) I just wouldn't do it to my kids but I also wouldn't go toooo "you-nique" either it still needs to be a nice solid and an actual name. Good luck finding something

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-09-2016),babyno1onboard  (02-09-2016),Tiny Dancer  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, we had the same issue or reservations about using popular names... And like @TaylorMade dp and i both love the name Isla but haven't used it for DD1 or DD2 due to rising popularity. I love Celeste and many of the other suggestions. Here are a few more: Elowen, Josephine, Delilah, Marlyse, and Clementine

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eyelet80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loving the suggestions! Some of them have already been suggested to DH. He hasn't approved them, but it means that your suggestions are adored by me!

We do really love the name. But, if we end up with a girl, I'm just worried about being one of 5 in the grade (both of my brothers had this problem, and in fact one brother had 2 best friends with the same name).

I think I will keep suggesting alternatives to DH and see if we find something we like as much. And maybe we can use the other name as a middle name.
    @Soon2be4 - it definitely won't be a "you-nique" name. It will be an real classic name with traditional spelling. I don't get changing spelling. I have a relatively uncommon first name, but even for those who do know it, I still need to spell it (there are variations even with traditional spelling), and I have to spell my last name. It's really annoying.

Feel free to keep the suggestions flowing! I've lost my baby name books in one of our moves, and I hate browsing websites unless I have some ideas in mind. Books are just.... so much nicer and more personal somehow.