Grade 1 homework question | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a prep teacher & I think grade 1 is way too young to be doing research projects for homework. At that age, I would be doing whole class research & showing the kids how to summarise it in our own words as a whole class. That's a skill the teacher needs to explicitly teach, it shouldn't be up to the parent. By the time a child is given a research project for homework, they should be old enough & have been taught the skills to be able to do it independently, IMO. If many parents are feeling the need to contribute and cut/paste for the kids, my opinion is the homework is above the child's skill level. I believe homework at that age should be reading, and POSSIBLY practicing a skill such as writing spelling words or math. Not independent projects.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (01-09-2016),AdornedWithCats  (01-09-2016),atomicmama  (01-09-2016),babyno1onboard  (01-09-2016),BB77  (01-09-2016),DT75  (02-09-2016),Full House  (01-09-2016),harvs  (01-09-2016),just her chameleon  (01-09-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (01-09-2016),Sonja  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grade 1 homework question

I wouldn't let my son copy and paste. Plagiarising just ****es me off and I don't want to teach my kids at any age that it's ok. But having said that, if my son didn't want to do the homework or if he would rather read a book or just talk about animals, I would send him to school with a note saying we didn't do the assignment because "x" reason. I started a thread about homework the other week and it's cemented in my mind that kids that young shouldnt have to be forced to do it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (01-09-2016),AdornedWithCats  (01-09-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This is one of the (many) reasons I don't agree with homework for early primary kids. Not all parents are equipped to deal with it. I know of a program that specifically helps parents learn how to do home readers with their kids, because they have no idea- some can barely read English themselves. Some parents have little/no formal education and just don't have the skills to help with these sorts of things. I'm sure most of them had no idea that they were doing the wrong thing. It shouldn't be left up to parents to teach their kids how to research and summarise. It's great if you can (and I do- DS has optional homework of preparing a page of writing for show and tell that he loves to do once a week, so we do it), but some parents can't, and it's not fair to penalise those kids just because they don't have the resources available at home to do it correctly. Or even if the parents don't have the time to do it 'properly'. IMO at that age, they should just be given credit for doing it at all.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-09-2016),babyno1onboard  (01-09-2016),cheeeeesecake  (01-09-2016),KitiK  (01-09-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (01-09-2016),Sonja  (01-09-2016),witherwings  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's probably plenty of parents out there that don't know plagiarism isn't ok (and probably don't know what plagiarism even is).

The instructions for the homework should at least state 'write in your own words' or something. But overall I think homework of this nature for kids in Year 1 is ridiculous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (01-09-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am a prep teacher & I think grade 1 is way too young to be doing research projects for homework. At that age, I would be doing whole class research & showing the kids how to summarise it in our own words as a whole class. That's a skill the teacher needs to explicitly teach, it shouldn't be up to the parent. By the time a child is given a research project for homework, they should be old enough & have been taught the skills to be able to do it independently, IMO. If many parents are feeling the need to contribute and cut/paste for the kids, my opinion is the homework is above the child's skill level. I believe homework at that age should be reading, and POSSIBLY practicing a skill such as writing spelling words or math. Not independent projects.
    Yes, this. A research project is way beyond most year one students. If my child got that for homework there's no way it would get done.

How to research should be taught in school (and in my experience, generally is) before expecting 6-7 year olds to be able to adequately research, understand and rewrite a topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't believe in homework before year 5, but we do do projects...however, that is ridiculous to expect 6 & 7 year olds to be able to do that assignment, and we would either cut and paste (as that would be what my child could do at that age), or not do it all.
    Thankfully our school never asked for projects until year 3.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

DT75  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grade ones shouldn't be getting homework. Poor kids

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

DT75  (02-09-2016)