Grade 1 homework question | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also a primary school teacher and I'd not be all that happy about it, unless they were able to read and understand what it was they were given, if the parent has taken the time to read through it/choose an age appropriate Internet site then fine. More often than not the child has not read Through it and does not understand, which in my eyes means it hasn't been done properly, or by the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic. I was answering your question from the viewpoint of a Grade 1 parent- "they are in Grade 1". I hear it all the time.

I was holding a wriggly 6 month old and couldn't embellish, but thanks for the judgemental response "so typical of bubhub".

Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    Bit harsh?
    Maybe a by harsh. Sorry.
    I always get nervous asking questions on here because there's always a response that makes me feel bad or stupid. Like I should of known it was ok for grade 1.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

BB77  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I can picture many scenarios where a grade 1 kid doing a 'cut and paste' job could learn just as much (if not more) than if they spent an hour writing or typing 20 words.

At that age you have to keep the kid engaged. Throw a little glue and a pair of scissors in the mix and my kid would be stoked! (Now if the parents did the cutting and gluing for their kid I would think that a bit off).

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Grade 1 teacher
    1. If I suspected it had been copied and pasted, I would ask the child to come and read it to me (usually knowing full well enforce hand if they were capable of that or not, and asking them to explain words I believe to not be a part of their vocabulary yet)

2. If they couldn't read it, I would write a note in their diary eg "thanks for helping Johnny with his animals inquiry. I was working with Johnny today and found that the information he bought to school was above him. I have spent some time working through it with him, and was just wondering if you were able to simplify some it if with him as well? You could try explaining what paragraph 3 means and have him dictate it back to you while you scribe? Thanks. We will need that info re habitat by next Thursday.

3. If they could read and understand it I would probably just say to the child "good job Johnny. The next thing we need to start working on is when we find new information, having a go at writing it ourselves in our own words. So, *example*. Your turn.

4. I would expect 1-2 children in my class to be ready for number 3.

5. If it kept happening I either wouldn't request this work be done at home, or bring it up with the parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it was my child, I would be getting them to read the information (or me read it to them if they couldn't quite read at that level) and then get them to explain to me what they wanted to write. Then I'd let them just write however they understood it. The only thing I help DD1 with now is spelling, and even then I point out the word and get her to have a go first before correcting her.

I've seen some crazy presentations at school, that the parents have clearly done for the child and I just think, what's the point? They can't be learning much from that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I can picture many scenarios where a grade 1 kid doing a 'cut and paste' job could learn just as much (if not more) than if they spent an hour writing or typing 20 words.

At that age you have to keep the kid engaged. Throw a little glue and a pair of scissors in the mix and my kid would be stoked! (Now if the parents did the cutting and gluing for their kid I would think that a bit off).
    True, but it's not so much about learning the content as it is about the skill of reading and summarising something.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Tbh I wouldn't be happy with my child having homework in grade 1 (other than readers). The parents may well have a similar view.

I work with uni students all the time who still don't know how to paraphrase information into their own words properly.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (01-09-2016),babyno1onboard  (01-09-2016),DT75  (02-09-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (01-09-2016),VicPark  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    This is why I'm glad our school doesn't send projects home as homework. Teachers always know when parents do it for the kids. We have small news topics and its intended so the children learn public speaking. No marks are given for the written work only how they present it.

It annoys the crap out of me when parents cross the line from helping to doing.

As to the OP if the children still knew the answers to the questions then it's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD in yr1 gets one off homework projects like that and we don't allow her to cut and paste - nor is DS in year 4. I would rather they hand in less work but in their own writing/effort in the main (I'll help if needed). We've talked about plagiarism especially with DS and to a lesser extent with DD and the importance of doing their own best effort and understanding what they have done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be letting DD simply cut and paste info off the internet for any work for school. She's in yr 2. She's had to do quite a few little projects for show & tell etc about a particular topic and we read about the topic and she summarises the info herself onto cardboard or PowerPoint.