+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Grade 1 homework question

So Ds has to research an animal with the help of an adult at home and answer 4 questions. We are allowed to use the computer.
    Today while helping at school I've noticed some students have handed in work with the information cut and pasted straight from the Internet for answers. I'm just wondering how the parents can think this is ok and what the teacher mignt do/say?

For my sons work, we found the information and either I dictated it to him (while he typed very slowly) or I typed while he dictated what I summarised on paper.

I'm just wondering if others (and primary teachers) had experienced the same.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 01-09-2016 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not a teacher and probably completely wrong -

While I would not encourage it, I wouldn't frown upon it at that age. As long as all 4 answers are correct and it shows that they have actually researched/read about it, I don't think there would be that much expectation of a 6-7 year old.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (01-09-2016),Homeschooling4  (02-09-2016),VicPark  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    how the parents can think this is ok
    They are in Grade 1.

what the teacher mignt do/say?
    Nothing, in my experience.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (02-09-2016),just her chameleon  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok fair enough. I just didn't think that cutting and pasting straight from the Internet would be ok seeing that it's not allowed in highschool.

Hopefully they are taught to summaries the information into their own words (even one sentence!) as they progress through primary school.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 01-09-2016 at 16:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure they will be taught, but I'd imagine the purpose of grade 1 assignments would be very simplistic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    They are in Grade 1

I don't get this statement? How is it helpful? I had no idea that copying and pasting from the Internet was ok in grade 1. Thanks for letting me know with sarcasm, so typical of bubhub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I'm sure they will be taught, but I'd imagine the purpose of grade 1 assignments would be very simplistic.
    Yes I guess.
    Well, my sons 2-3 sentence answers will be very brief in comparison to the chunks of cut and paste. Oh well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't get this statement? How is it helpful? I had no idea that copying and pasting from the Internet was ok in grade 1. Thanks for letting me know with sarcasm, so typical of bubhub.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. I was answering your question from the viewpoint of a Grade 1 parent- "they are in Grade 1". I hear it all the time.

I was holding a wriggly 6 month old and couldn't embellish, but thanks for the judgemental response "so typical of bubhub".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a teacher. Obviously, we can always tell a cut and paste job (or when parents have done projects). I don't really say much - what can you say? - but your DS will hopefully get a lot more out of it than the other kiddies. Kudos for doing it properly. I wish more parents did this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit harsh?