2 year gap between 1st and 2nd then 3 year gap between 2nd and 3rd? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 2 year gap between 1st and 2nd then 3 year gap between 2nd and 3rd?

We want a 3rd ( as a minimum) and we first wanted a 2 year gap between all kids. We are now reassessing and thinking 2 year gap between 1st and 2nd then 3 year gap between 2nd and 3rd? Or should gap between 2 and 3 be larger?
    What's your experience with two close then another slightly further apart?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 2 years between 1 and 2, which worked fine and then almost 5 years between 2 and 3. This is working really well at the moment (Bub is only 10 months old). The older 2 can look after themselves and are a great help to me, but I do wonder how Bub will go as he gets older as he will always be littler and left out. It's nice having time just one on one with him while the older 2 are at school though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I'm worried about, the bond with the first two is great. But I need our youngest to be a little more independent when #3 comes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a 3 or 4 year gap would be ideal between #2 and 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't get me wrong #1 and 2 love playing with their little brother, but it's different. I just hope they continue to let him join in as he gets older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    This is what we are thinking of doing so our first is starting school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have this gap yet, as belly baby is still brewing, but we will be living with it in a few months. #1 and #1 are 2 years, 2 months apart, and #2 and #3 will be 3 years and 6 months apart.

Honestly I think this larger gap is so much better, already. Pregnancy has been easier because #2 needs less input than a 2 year old, she has had a longer babyhood and had her needs met by mum for longer. She is old enough to understand there is a baby sister coming, and is learning impulse control (so fewer tantrums and the like). She will be much better placed to be a "big sister" than her 2 year sister was when she was born. 2 is *so* little, if I could go back in time (and still keep the same children!) I'd have a bigger gap between #1 & #2 and nurture that babyhood a bit longer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

crt22  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I don't have this gap yet, as belly baby is still brewing, but we will be living with it in a few months. #1 and #1 are 2 years, 2 months apart, and #2 and #3 will be 3 years and 6 months apart.

Honestly I think this larger gap is so much better, already. Pregnancy has been easier because #2 needs less input than a 2 year old, she has had a longer babyhood and had her needs met by mum for longer. She is old enough to understand there is a baby sister coming, and is learning impulse control (so fewer tantrums and the like). She will be much better placed to be a "big sister" than her 2 year sister was when she was born. 2 is *so* little, if I could go back in time (and still keep the same children!) I'd have a bigger gap between #1 & #2 and nurture that babyhood a bit longer.
    This entire post is us too.

27 months between the first two and will be 3 1/2 years when #3 arrives in Dec. i actually think this age gap will be easier for me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 year gap between 1st and 2nd then 3 year gap between 2nd and 3rd?

We will have this exact age gap between our kids once this one is born. I can't tell you what it's like yet, as #3 isn't due for another 10 weeks but it's definitely easier taking care of the kids during this pregnancy with a 3yr gap than it was last time around with a 2yr gap. Having a clingy 2yr old who always wants to be carried or picked up and needs to be lifted onto a change table or into cot.. I'm also in the close-age-gap camp, I don't want a large gap for my kids because they play so beautifully together but there's definitely advantages of larger gaps, including a higher level of understanding of your needs and of Bub's limitations

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this exact gap between mine. DS1 is 7, DD just turned 5 and DS2 is 2 next month. I found the 3 year age gap really good when DS2 was a baby, as my DD was quite independent then. The school run complicated things a bit for sleeps, but I was on maternity leave for most of DS1's prep year which was great.
    Mine all play together a bit, but the older 2 obviously more so at this age, I think DS 2 will catch up though, I don't think the age gap is too big.