+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Optional.

But then again I hate new cars and I want a car without air bags so 😝

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Interested. .. Those who think helmets should be optional for bicycles, do you think the same for motorbikes? Surely someone's choice of one is as good as their choice re the other?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mandatory. My sister was hit by a car when we were in high school and her helmet saved her life. It was completely shattered like a broken egg shell. That would have been her skull if it weren't for the helmet. It's not that hard to pop on a helmet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think helmets should be mandatory for everyone.

If someone stops using a bike just because they have to wear a helmet then that's on them (lazy/precious).

I don't buy the whole let an over 18 decide for themselves. They are not the only one affected if they chose not to wear a helmet and something goes pear shaped. They are more likely to be seriously injured or die if they have an accident. That affects their family, other cyclists, motorists, the healthcare system etc. I was thinking of saying if someone doesn't wear a helmet that's ok they can pay their own healthcare costs if they are injured. However there would still be other affected parties.

So for me, it's still a case of "if it's not on, you're not on."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-09-2016),JustJaq  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mandatory.

Australian motorists are nothing like European motorists. They are not bike aware and many are bike aggressive. I have had P plate utes veer towards me so their car is about 1cm away from my foot (and I'm in the gutter - with a bike lane!).

DH cycles a lot more than me. Has full fluro yellow everything, white bike, lights, reflectors and so on. He has been hit twice. Once in a 60 zone in a leafy inner melbourne suburb someone right hand turn directly in front of him. He would have been going 40 but they were going less than 20. Helmet cracked like an egg!

Second time was on the roads surrounding a major shopping centre. All 40 zone. A car changed their mind just after entering a roundabout. Car or bike, what the driver did probably would have caused a bingle. But on a bike the injury was significant. This time the helmet protected his ear and face from being grated by the asphalt like his shoulder was.

For the PP who described helmets as heavy and chunky - you do know there are options other than the stackhats we had to wear as kids? $15 at bigW gets you something you can carry with your pinky that meets all standards.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-09-2016),Full House  (01-09-2016),JustJaq  (01-09-2016)