+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't believe people have such an issue with wearing helmets! I definitely would be wearing a helmet when riding regardless.

I have never really considered the mandatory wearing of helmets as an issue. I think it should definitely be mandatory under the age of 18 and also for those who are riding on the road. On bike paths, for adults, I don't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Should bicycle helmets be optional?

Mandatory - DH is a bike rider ( rides 2 mornings a week with a club ) easily a rider is hit by a car or crashes once a week and that's just his club - this shows the % of deaths here and in Europe - it really is dangerous a sport
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1472624880.820069.jpg
    https://bitre.gov.au/publications/20.../is_071_fp.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone should be wearing a helmet, if people are risking their lives for maybe comfort or looks is very very selfish not only towards family but everyone else who drives a car (God forbid an accident) it's bad enough bike riders ride on the road.
    I guess if it's made optional and the bike rider isn't wearing a helmet they are responsible for all and any damages to themselves.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rach4 For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In answer to the OP, no I don't think it should be optional. I used to be with a professional cyclist who was hit by a car and was wearing his helmet, and the huge crack in his helmet was unbelievable, thank goodness he was wearing it!

I know with my kids they sometimes balk at wearing their helmets, but then see Dh wear his and we have no issues.

If 'optional' and a parent(s) chose not to wear one, to me it wouldn't send a good message to their kids.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (31-08-2016),Wise Enough  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree it should be mandatory for children. Adults - maybe mandatory for road cycling and optional for bike paths? Although it's hard to draw a line - you still have to cross roads when riding on a bike path.

I think more money/emphasis should be placed on creating safe bike ways and cycle lanes, this would make it safer, easier and more appealing for many people, regardless of the helmet issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know why people wouldn't want to wear them? Are they worried about helmet hair?! I don't get it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-09-2016),HollyGolightly81  (31-08-2016),rach4  (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I know heaps of adults who do short bike rides and never wear helmets. Doesn't bother me. I don't ride so it wouldn't impact on me either way but I do think Australian laws are very nanny state. You are more likely to be injured walking than riding a bike. Should wearing a helmet be mandatory for walking?

ETA I'm definitely in favour of mandatory for under 18.
    I hear far more stories about cyclists being hit by cars than pedestrians, and there are far less cyclists on the road so would have thought that the risks are higher when cycling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Should bicycle helmets be optional?

Mandatory for sure! My husband rides his bike to work every day, when we lived in Melbourne and now in London, and there is no way I would be ok with him (nor would he) riding in either city without a helmet. The traffic and roads here are nuts and there are always cyclist accidents. It's not mandatory here which I find shocking since they have a completely social health care system, imagine the money saved if they lowered their incidences of head injuries.

A city like Copenhagen where everybody rides a bike and there is very little traffic on the road, *maybe* I can understand...but no, I'm pretty hardcore in the it should be mandatory for all age groups in every situation. Who cares what you look like!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 31-08-2016 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, it sets a good example for your children and encourages them to actually want to wear their helmet if they see their parents/everybody doing it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (31-08-2016)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Mandatory at any age. When I rode to school in primary and secondary school no-one wore helmets, it was pre-helmet legislation. It would have taken an huge amount of effort to normalise wearing helmets. I wouldn't want to lose that benefit.