Teething and sleep training | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teething and sleep training

So Bub, nearly 9 months, learnt how to self settle and sleep much better last month at sleep school. Nothing harsh in terms of the methods at all. I was over the moon, it just clicked so easily.

But she's been teething (top 4 teeth) for the last couple of weeks, and it's all going down hill again! Night time is really bad and I'm falling back into rocking and co sleeping just to get her settled. Panadol and Nurofen don't seem to be helping her.

I'm pretty depressed about this because I really felt I was getting somewhere with her, and we were all better rested. But now it's going back to square 1.

So my question is, at what point do you start re-training? As soon as all the teeth cut through? Or keep persisting as much as we can during the process without being cruel. Anything to help in the meantime? My other two kids didn't suffer with teething like this!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would persist as much as you can and when the teeth are through start again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a massive anti 'trainer' so I'm probably not the best person to comment here but I just wanted to give an alternative point of view.
    She is a tiny babe, hasn't been out as long as she was in yet and is still struggling, I would do what needs to be done to help reassure her you are still there to help her and if that means stuff you don't want to do then so be it, that's what kids are all about, they're not convenient beings by any means and they're not meant to be.
    Are you into wearing at all, maybe getting her to sleep on you and transitioning might help?
    The pain from teeth must be agonizing for them, she needs lovin.
    Best of luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mightymama For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very pro-training, primarily as it worked so well with my 2 kids, and stopped me losing the plot.

A few things while she is teething:
    Ensure you are giving her the correct doses...
    Paracetamol is 20mg/kg initially, then 15mg/kg every 6 hours thereafter as needed.
    Ibuprofen (Nurofen) is 10mg/kg every 8 hours as needed.
    Don't rely on the bottle to give you the dose, work it out yourself using bub's weight.
    Give paracetamol and ibuprofen together, at least 30 minutes before her bedtime.

I used Bonjela a lot too, the "numbing gel" on their gums, which helped a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (31-08-2016),monnie24  (31-08-2016),wobbleyhorse  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds2 is now 14 months and we've had a tough time with sleeping only really getting things sorted a couple of months ago with sleep training. However he's one of those babies that is very sensitive and his sleep will be disrupted by the smallest thing. He also seems to get ill quite frequently (he gets a fever for a couple of days every fortnight at the moment for various things such as colds, teething) and I have wondered what to do with this sleep training when he's like this. Due to the fact it's quite frequent and he will slide so easily if I let up, I now just give him a day or 2 when he's really under the weather to relax a little, ie I might give him a bottle of milk if he's coughing to help ease his throat but I try not to cuddle him to sleep. Then once he's over the worst of it I go back to normal routine as long as I know I've done everything I can to make him comfortable (pain relief, Vicks rub etc). It's hard and I've certainly had times when I've given in as I've wanted him to get a decent sleep but it just isn't worth it in the long run to do it for too long as they can revert very quickly and it takes a long time to get back to where you were. Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. She actually slept better last night. Still woke more than she should but wasn't screaming her lungs out, and settled much easier. And her naps today have been fabulous! So I hope she's naturally on the up! Still gave Nurofen tonight in case. And have just seen your dosing guide, J, so will follow that in future!!

Just to add, I've never been big into sleep training but by baby #3 I needed her to just go to sleep so I could deal with the others! And after so much hard work and separation from the rest of my family at sleep school, I don't want to undo it all. Particularly when she took to it so well! I know she can do it now, and my ability to cope when I get a reasonable sleep is increased ten fold. 😊

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bond Girl: i am interested to know what they taught you at sleep school if you don't mind sharing.

It is difficult to draw the line......We had a similar problem a few weeks back. DS got a very bad teething pain. The worst we have seen so far with super swollen gum! He was extremely agitated. We started putting him in our bed half way through the night so we didn't have to get up. We are both working parents. We were able to put up more (ie. waking N times a night resettling him) when one of us wasn't working during the first 7 months. Then, he got sick. Some nights he was OK to sleep through in his cot so we just thought this was temporary. We were wrong......he is now expecting the company half way through the night. It doesn't matter if it was in our bed, sofa etc. It has been 3 weeks and we don't know how to break it. We tried resettling him without any success. He is fine to fall asleep in his cot just not staying there after he wakes up in the middle of the night. We dont' mind if he wants comfort when he is sick but he doesn't get the idea that he should go back to his cot once he recovers. We don't sleep well co-sleeping. The motivation to have him back to his cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    @Bond Girl: i am interested to know what they taught you at sleep school if you don't mind sharing.

It is difficult to draw the line......We had a similar problem a few weeks back. DS got a very bad teething pain. The worst we have seen so far with super swollen gum! He was extremely agitated. We started putting him in our bed half way through the night so we didn't have to get up. We are both working parents. We were able to put up more (ie. waking N times a night resettling him) when one of us wasn't working during the first 7 months. Then, he got sick. Some nights he was OK to sleep through in his cot so we just thought this was temporary. We were wrong......he is now expecting the company half way through the night. It doesn't matter if it was in our bed, sofa etc. It has been 3 weeks and we don't know how to break it. We tried resettling him without any success. He is fine to fall asleep in his cot just not staying there after he wakes up in the middle of the night. We dont' mind if he wants comfort when he is sick but he doesn't get the idea that he should go back to his cot once he recovers. We don't sleep well co-sleeping. The motivation to have him back to his cot.
    I went to the Ellen Barron family centre in Brisbane and they have videos and info on their website. It's basically responsive settling. My bub was rocked to sleep. I started off with 'hands on' settling eg patting and shushing. First bedtime was very hard. She cried a lot. But I was with her. I stayed consistent during the night and didn't pick her up. Wasn't as bad as I expected. Did same for her naps.
    By day three I did transitional settling which is sitting next to cot but patting my leg not her, and shushing. That worked. So i started trying to leave the room when I put her down (they call it comfort settling). And she fell asleep no crying, to my complete surprise. So I continued with that.
    I didn't rush the process or go faster than she could handle. She learned how to out herself to sleep and sleep longer stretches over night. Even slept through a few times.
    So definitely take a look at their website. They said the key is to be consistent with whatever method you choose!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (04-09-2016)