+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Sunshine Coast

Hi All,
    My family of four are thinking of moving to the sunny coast. DH has been offered a job with a new co. I'm sure sunny coast is laid back and family orientated, I just wanted to hear it from you that live there. We would be moving from Canberra, I love it here; DH is in dire need of a scenic change as this is his home town. I'm a NQ girl at heart, growing up in the Whitsundays. DH and I meet while we both lived in Townsville, we miss the ocean but we have his family here. I just wanted to know what the community is like for young families? Are there plenty of activities for children? What areas are good to buy into? I'm hoping to hear from mums who have done the sea change or any advice you have to offer. So I'm torn as to what to do. would be lovely to hear from you! Thanks xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cprothero For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We moved here about 18 months ago. Best thing we ever did. It's incredibly family orientated, laid back, beautiful, slow paced (most areas) yet still has all the amenities. I couldn't recommend it more. The only issue on the coast is limited jobs but if you guys have one lined up then I'd say go for it!

As for places to live, most of the coast is wonderful. *Some* of the inland areas aren't quite as nice (in my view). Maybe try renting for a year and get to know the place and where you want to be before buying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also moved here about 18 months ago and we have mixed feelings. I have extended family here so have spent many childhood holidays up here and have some wonderful memories.

Living here is a little different. It is laid back and its great having easy access to so many beaches and Brisbane is so close but we have found a lot of negatives too.

As PP said, jobs are hard to come by (irrelevant to us but an issue for the region in general).

There isn't a lot of diversity, we are a biracial family and frankly, we don't see a lot of other people or cultures on the coast much. It probably isn't a huge deal to others but we have come across a couple of narrow minded folk that seem a bit stuck in the 40's. Same with restaurants, you want coffee and brunch then you are set, but you want authentic Thai or Malaysian...no luck! Or maybe I just haven't found them yet!

I've struggled to meet people and create friendships, everyone is friendly but almost cliquey? I've managed to make a few friends through daycare and kids activities so that's a good place to start. DH joined a sports team to meet people. It has helped having family here, but we needed more than that.

Still, its a beautiful place! Housing wise, I agree that it is best to rent to begin with. Buderim is popular but incredibly over populated with terrible access. There are some great estates across the coast though and most places are easy to get to via the motorway. We live in Bli Bli and have found it to be really good in terms of access to work, shops, schools, activities, beaches, airport etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coco babies For This Useful Post:

Cprothero  (31-08-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, we moved our family to the sunshine coast from Brisbane, nearly 30 years ago. we bought a business and we have totally enjoyed living here. I have loved raising my children here, even though only one of my children has remained on the coast. She has bought a house and is now raising her family here. I love how close we are to the best beaches, and there is certainly nothing that the sunshine coast doesn't have. You can even fly direct to Canberra from Maroochydore. (at least I think that is correct.?) We love it here. marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Cprothero  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving to Sunshine Coast

Quote Originally Posted by coco babies View Post

There isn't a lot of diversity, we are a biracial family and frankly, we don't see a lot of other people or cultures on the coast much. It probably isn't a huge deal to others but we have come across a couple of narrow minded folk that seem a bit stuck in the 40's. Same with restaurants, you want coffee and brunch then you are set, but you want authentic Thai or Malaysian...no luck! Or maybe I just haven't found them yet!
    This is very true, having lived in very culturally diverse places the rest of my life it's something that I'd always taken for granted and I find it a bit odd that the Sunny Coast is so 'white' (I'm not sure if that's the correct term to use but that's how it feels!).

I'm so sorry you have experienced negativity from some people xxx

Si Suphan in Coolum makes good Thai and Indonesian food if you're ever in the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I grew up on the coast, couldn't wait to leave it for the 'big city' when I was 17. I moved back here in my early 20's after several years in Brisbane and a few overseas, then moved to Melbourne once I got married as job opportunities up here are very limited. 2 years later I was back with my husband and my son, as we suddenly appreciated what an amazing place it is to raise a family, and we will never leave again.

I think it's an amazing place to raise a family. Yes I am biased, and I am not a city person. However my DH who grew up in remote north west Tasmania agrees - it's a beautiful environment, not to far from the cbd but far enough away to feel more relaxed. Generally speaking, it's such a 'healthy' place to live, just being here makes you want to get outside in the fresh air and people run, cycle, swim and surf before work and school and after. The weather is incredibly mild all year round and you can have backyard bbqs on a winters day (typically sunny and low-mid 20s!).

There is plenty for kids and adults to do alike.

It really depends on what you're after, if you're a real city person you might struggle and get bored. The shopping is pretty average (but we are about to get a multimillion dollar redevelopment which should significantly improve that!). Whilst you can't currently fly Maroochydore to Canberra direct there are new flights being added all the time (and the airport is due for a major upgrade including international flights).

There are a lot of changes happening on the coast over the next decade or so. Jobs are hard to come by however it sounds like you already have that part lined up.

Where to live really depends on what you are looking for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I grew up on the coast, couldn't wait to leave it for the 'big city' when I was 17. I moved back here in my early 20's after several years in Brisbane and a few overseas, then moved to Melbourne once I got married as job opportunities up here are very limited. 2 years later I was back with my husband and my son, as we suddenly appreciated what an amazing place it is to raise a family, and we will never leave again.

I think it's an amazing place to raise a family. Yes I am biased, and I am not a city person. However my DH who grew up in remote north west Tasmania agrees - it's a beautiful environment, not to far from the cbd but far enough away to feel more relaxed. Generally speaking, it's such a 'healthy' place to live, just being here makes you want to get outside in the fresh air and people run, cycle, swim and surf before work and school and after. The weather is incredibly mild all year round and you can have backyard bbqs on a winters day (typically sunny and low-mid 20s!).

There is plenty for kids and adults to do alike.

It really depends on what you're after, if you're a real city person you might struggle and get bored. The shopping is pretty average (but we are about to get a multimillion dollar redevelopment which should significantly improve that!). Whilst you can't currently fly Maroochydore to Canberra direct there are new flights being added all the time (and the airport is due for a major upgrade including international flights).

There are a lot of changes happening on the coast over the next decade or so. Jobs are hard to come by however it sounds like you already have that part lined up.

Where to live really depends on what you are looking for?
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your insight was truely helpful. Your description of the Sunshine Coast is exactly how I remember it two years ago when we came on a holiday. People are very active, and that's the lifestyle i would like for my children (Canberra we hibernate for 3+ months) I do love the city, there's always something to do and somewhere to be. In saying that I do do miss the ocean and the feeling of being relaxed; the public sector down here makes me feel like everyone is competing with each other on every basis. Do you have extended family around you? One of my caution triggers is family here. I'm sad that they won't be around to watch the kids grow. In saying that we would be closer to my parents 12 hour drive or one flight.

What are the best ways to find connections to the community and to mothers groups in the Sunshine Coast? Facebook? Community centre? Are there any playgroup organisations there?

As for the house situation, we currently have a 4bedroom house, happy downsize to 3 rooms. I would love to hear from you what suburbs you think are great, somewhere pretty central would be nice. We are considering renting for a year before buying. We also have 3 dogs, so a yard is essential. I have had a look and that doesn't seem an issue, like it is here (houses are pretty much built to the block now). DH and I will do the ring around today. Before we make a decision.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a great idea to rent for a year and get an idea about where you want to live. The newer estates tend to have smaller block sizes (therefore smaller yards) so this is something to keep in mind (our 10 yr old house is on 850sqm block whereas the last release in our suburb the block sizes are around 500sqm).

You're fairly safe with anything coastal. The 'cbd' is Maroochydore, but I probably wouldn't live there. Surrounding suburbs like Alexandra Headland, Mooloolaba, Buderim are the most central. Coolum is about 15 mins drive north - really nice family friendly suburb but might be a bit 'far' from the action if you're used to city living. Bli Bli is about 10 mins inland and another (very reasonably priced) family friendly area, with a lot of new housing development etc. South of the river you have Kawana/Minyama etc and there is a lot of new development in and around this area - housing, the new hospital, and 'Aura' etc. Just be aware the Nicklin Way is probably the worst in terms of traffic, if you're looking in these southern suburbs.

Sorry it's really hard to give a good picture of all the suburbs - happy for you to pm me if there are any areas you're particularly looking at/want an opinion. We rented for 6 months before buying 3 years ago and found it hard to get a good rental (we only had a week to get something), the good ones go as soon as they're listed (although we also found that in Melb). And we have a dog too so this excluded us from a lot of potential rentals.

There are absolutely playgroups, mothers groups etc - what age are your children? Do you need to consider schools at this point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live up near Maleny in the hinterland . 30 minutes to beaches a lovely community we are getting to know and lovely schools. We have lived here a year and just love it . I can't say enough about it except I wish so badly that they had a sushi restaurant close . I'm missing a really good sushi restaurant desperately ! Ha ha . We have no family around and pretty much no close friends but we are slowly making some but the community is very lovely up here on the range .