cosmetic dentistry - please tell me about your experiences! | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default cosmetic dentistry - please tell me about your experiences!

I've decided lately that my teeth are really bothering me. I've never loved my smile but for some reason, I suddenly feel quite self conscious about it. I've stumbled across a few unflattering pics of my teeth in dh's phone and I just feel like it's something I'd like to change.

I've always wanted veneers as I feel my front teeth are uneven in shape, not as white as I'd like and just not the Hollywood smile I would like to see. my teeth aren't terrible but as I said, I've never loved my smile. in most pics they look ok I guess, but there's a few pics that I just think wow, I look awful.

the brief back story is that I had braces as a young teen but I feel my teeth have shifted slightly since then. the bottom ones used to be perfectly aligned, now one has moved backwards a bit and they just look a bit wonky and crowded (my teeth are quite big). I can just about look past the bottom teeth but it's the top ones that really bother me. I find myself criticizing my teeth in most reflective surfaces, so I feel like this has shifted from just a back-of-mind concern to more of an obsession.

ideally I'd like veneers on the top front 6 teeth. I know others who've had veneers and enjoy great results. admittedly their teeth were worse than mine but still, I've seen good results and I'm sold.

whilst at the dentist the other week for an unrelated issue, I asked in passing whether he offers veneers etc. he seemed dismissive of my wanting veneers and said I could benefit from Invisalign more.

I'm not really interested in Invisalign as it's an 18 month process and I want more instant results. plus having had braces many years ago, I can see that teeth obviously move slightly over the years so what would be stopping my Invisalign straightener teeth from going back to how they are now 10 years down the track anyway? I also don't want to wear that clear plates. I wore a plate to start with prior to braces, then had braces, then wore the clear plastic retainer for years after. I feel "done" at the idea of more orthodontic work.

I know the downside of veneers is they damage the existing teeth, which I suspect is the reason the dentist was trying to steer me away from the idea. aside from aesthetics, my teeth are in good shape. no chips, good enamel, no discoloration (well slight but they're not bright yellow or anything lol). from what the dentist told me, the cost of Invisalign and the 6 veneers I want would be roughly the same. so if be looking at around $6k.

it's quite an investment and I'd need to seriously think about what I want to do. have not seriously discussed with dh yet. overseas dental holidays etc are not an option, I'm just not interested in anything like this.

please can you share with me any info and details of your cosmetic dentistry. specifically I'm interested to hear in what the original issue was, what you had done, rough costs and whether you're happy with the result.

thanks (and apologies about the long post!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default cosmetic dentistry - please tell me about your experiences!

I did Invisalign, the time flew by and I am thrilled with the results. I have to wear plates at night but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. My teeth are big were pretty crowded and I had a couple snaggle teeth. All up I think it was about $6000 which I could pay in instalments.

I was looking at veneers too but when the dentist told me how they do it...I'm happy to have my own teeth. Good luck with your decision
    Last edited by Olive Oil; 29-08-2016 at 13:06.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and the change was gradual and no one noticed which is what I wanted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (29-08-2016)