+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Newborns and (young) siblings - WDYD

Ok so despite now being the mum of 3 boys, this is the first time I've actually had two young children at the same time (17.5 years between DS1 and DS2).

So DS2 will be 4 in October and DS3 is 17 days old. I'm struggling a little with what people do when they need to put the newborn down. So if I have to do something that needs both hands and DS3 is not in a wrap how do I keep DS2 from accidentally hurting DS3?

DS2 is a very high spirited high energy little boy. He seeks high levels of stimulation so everything is done at full speed, top of the voice style. He jumps around, flings himself on and off the lounge and just generally moves around like a cyclone leaving a trail of destruction 😏

So how do I put DS3 down on his play mat? We don't have a swing but I'd be worried DS2 could knock it over anyway.

What do other people do? DH is home at the moment so one of just holds DS3 at all times or sits beside him while he's on his mat. But he won't be home forever and I'm looking for ideas on how others manage this so I can may be start putting some things in place for when DH does go back to work.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you have a bassinette on wheels? Maybe pop him in there and wheel around to whatever room your in. Or the pram? My DD spent a lot of time in her bassinette or pram in the house to avoid cyclone DS 2.5
    Last edited by Louise41; 29-08-2016 at 10:13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    bassinet on wheels if you're in a single storey house or just doing stuff upstairs.

if you're in a two storey home, use the bassi on wheels upstairs and get a portacot for downstairs. we got a joie portacot that lives in the main living area downstairs. when ds was tiny we'd put him in that and he'd sleep/play while we went about our business. the newborn mat is low enough for your ds2 to not be able to reach/access the newborn, well unless he climbed into it. not sure how active/mobile he is?

but something like that could be an option? otherwise would you get a wrap and baby wear? I always found a baby in a wrap was still awkward, like you can walk around but I couldn't vacuum with him there as it felt weird. but that could be an option for you?

pram is also another idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

Two story house so the bassinet is upstairs but even then I worry about DS2 climbing into it - which we've caught him doing twice already. I worry about using a portacot for the same reason.

Downstairs the pram is a good idea! I hadn't thought about it but it could work. Especially because I'll be able to keep it relatively close to me - again because I think DS2 is likely to try and push it around.

I use a wrap already and will definitely keep using it.

I feel like I've entered this unknown territory despite this being the third time. It's just added a whole other level of issues lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Does your 4 year old attend preschool at all? You may find you get some break if he's able to have something for himself a couple of days a week. My older kids were very gentle with their baby siblings but I still worried. We also had dogs so I was more worried about that. I did a lot of baby wearing in the early days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get a play pen and put the baby in it. This is what my sister did with my niece as a baby as she only has 16 months between kids and my nephew is very 'high spirited'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

@Sonja he will be going to preschool 2 days a week starting Feb next year (has to be 4 before he can start at our chosen school). It will be good for all of us as I can see DS2 is needing more than what he currently gets at home and it will nice to have one on one with DS3. But it is a long way a way right now. DS2 is actually very gentle with his baby brother, lots of gentle pats and kisses - it's the risk of him accidentally hurting his brother I'm worried about.
    @MillieMollyMandy we thought about a playpen but space downstairs is pretty scarce (we live in a townhouse). There's just no where to put one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice tbh. Going through it now and I have no idea WTF to do.

DS is mainly good with DD. He is a little rough sometimes (he was 'body slamming' her yesterday - he did not hurt her thank goodness! I turn my back for 10 seconds...). He has not hurt her more than a few accidental headbutts.

She is OBSESSED with him. She looks at him and laughs at him all the time. He is still rough but we have been lucky that he does not try to pick her up or move her or anything.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-08-2016),Olive Oil  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @twinklify it's really hard isn't it? I'm just so worried DS2 will do one of his leaps across the lounge, misjudge and land on the baby. My anxiety is definitely playing a role too.

I think I'll probably just keep him close in a wrap. I've never been good at back carrying under 6 months though so I'm not sure how I'll cook - might have to use the pram then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Would he understand that now he has a baby brother jumping off furniture isn't allowed? I understand he is high energy but honestly it really would worry me if I had a 4 year old boy jumping off furniture around a baby. My kids had to learn that sort of thing was for outside only. I also found with sleep deprivation my nerves would have been shot.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-08-2016),JR03  (29-08-2016)