If 2nd year kinder funding is denied... | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default If 2nd year kinder funding is denied...

Ds2 will be 5 in mid Feb. I'm in Melb where age to start school is 5 by end April. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Kinder said he's not delayed in enough areas to be eligible for 2nd year of 4yr old kinder. So now I'm not sure what I'm gong to do. A part of me thinks he'll be ok (he's older brother is in grade 1, so he's familiar with the school/school life) and apart of me isn't sure. Socially he is confident, just a little silly/immature at times. At kinder he can concentrate on tasks.
    If 2nd year funding is denied does that mean he'll have no choice but to attend school next year.
    Last edited by Rebecca79; 28-08-2016 at 20:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca79 View Post
    Ds2 will be 5 in mid Feb. I'm in Melb where age to start school is 5 by end April. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Kinder said he's not delayed in enough areas to be eligible for 2nd year of 4yr old kinder. So now I'm not sure what I'm gong to do. A part of me thinks he'll be ok (he's older brother is in grade 1, so he's familiar with the school/school life) and apart of me isn't sure. Socially he is confident, just a little silly/immature at times. At kinder he can concentrate on tasks.
    If 2nd year funding is denied does that mean he'll have no choice but to attend school next year.
    As far as I know he can repeat kinder but you may have to pay more to compensate for the funding the kinder won't receive for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default If 2nd year kinder funding is denied...

What makes you think your DS won't be ok? Are the teachers worried about the same thing?

I would think no preschool would interrupt progress your child has made and send him backward. So either kindy or self funded preschool .?
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-08-2016 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    If he's not eligible for a second year as the kindy are saying he's not delayed enough, this tells me they believe he is ready for school.

They can't force you to send him next year, he's just not eligible for funding, he can still repeat but it will be more expensive than this year to send him. I would just ask his kindy what the non-subsidised rate is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I would be sending him to school next year. My DS was silly in kindy aswell and struggled with words and sounds but I never thought to ever keep him back another year.

He is in grade 3 now and is the smartest and most confident child in his class.

You'd be surprised how much children at a young age adapt to new surroundings and the structure they have in the classroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely send him to school. The kinder teachers would've said something if they didn't think he will be ready, it's part of their job to assess that.

My DS is a Feb baby (now 9yo), and his 3 year old kinder teacher could tell he needed to repeat kinder, so he actually did two years of 3yo kinder. It sounds almost crazy that they could know that early, but this teacher had been teaching kids for 20 years and just knew. And she was right! He's now in grade 3 and doing very well. It was definitely a good decision to keep him back.

It sounds like your DS will be ok to start school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Why does this have to be so hard?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You say the kinder think he isn't "delayed in enough areas", so does this mean there are areas of delay? Do you know what they are as you may be able do support him to catch up a little in some areas.

For example gymbaroo if it's gross motor, cutting and glueing at home for fine motor, speech therapy for speech or language (or even just some specific at-home techniques), swimming lessons, dance, gymnastics help with following instructions to stay safe, lining up and taking turns, reading eggs if he's showing little interest in text and so on.

If it's just one or two areas that are a little bit behind what they will expect for his age group then it should be pretty easy to offer some additional support with those to ensure he transitions well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-08-2016),VicPark  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's more related to social skills and maturity.