+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I don't really get the push to be vaccinated just to enter the house a new baby is in.

You still have to be sick to pass on pertussis. You have to be sick, and coughing, and spray those cough droplets into the vicinity. I would really hope sick people who are actively coughing would stay the hell away from a family with a newborn. That is what I would be, and will be, and have been, most uptight about. No illness around us when we have a newborn. We effectively quarantine ourselves for at least a month. And of course breastfeeding whenever possible for its amazing protective effects.

Unfortunately you can be an almost silent carrier of pertussis when you are vaccinated, and that makes me more nervous - people think, "oh, I'm vaccinated, this cough is nothing" and go about their business, spreading it around the shops, schools, workplaces. But it can still be pertussis, just with much milder symptoms and no "whoop" for the vaccinated person. Not so for very little non vaccinated people.
    People are contagious from first sign of respiratory infection regardless of the type of cough they have (or don't yet have)..In the first stages of illness it's no different to any viral coughing illness. Reducing the disease loading, even by 50%, has to reduce the risk for newborns... Also by reducing the severity of disease people are coughing significantly less, reducing spread. Not to mention all the other benefits of reduced severity for the actual sufferer. My (unvaxxed) BFF had WC while pregnant it was, as you can imagine, horrific...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

mima38  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a friend turn up to see newborn with a cold. I was beyond ****ed off I made them sit across the room and not come near us. So rude imo. People should stay away if sick and if in regular contact definitely get the vax. With this baby I'm going to be more strict

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

mima38  (03-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, ladies. If it is six weeks not six months then that's not so bad. If anyone has a problem with getting vaccinated they can wait until then I'm sure. I wouldn't allow them to visit without it anyway.

Funny how people just don't care though. Like one of the other posters saying a parent was the type to pretend they had the shot when they hadn't, or like your friend turning up with a cold, kim85. My late partner's immune system was shot after numerous rounds of chemo and radio and we were told to keep anyone sick away from him. His brother didn't give a crap though and would come to visit when he was sick then act like he was doing us all a favour by dragging his poor self out of bed to grace us with his presence. My partner developed pneumonia and that's what killed him. Obviously this may not have been related to the brother and he was terminal with or without the pneumonia so would sadly die at some point anyway, but the sheer stupidity of people astounds me sometimes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mima38 For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mima38 View Post
    Thanks, ladies. If it is six weeks not six months then that's not so bad. If anyone has a problem with getting vaccinated they can wait until then I'm sure. I wouldn't allow them to visit without it anyway.

Funny how people just don't care though. Like one of the other posters saying a parent was the type to pretend they had the shot when they hadn't, or like your friend turning up with a cold, kim85. My late partner's immune system was shot after numerous rounds of chemo and radio and we were told to keep anyone sick away from him. His brother didn't give a crap though and would come to visit when he was sick then act like he was doing us all a favour by dragging his poor self out of bed to grace us with his presence. My partner developed pneumonia and that's what killed him. Obviously this may not have been related to the brother and he was terminal with or without the pneumonia so would sadly die at some point anyway, but the sheer stupidity of people astounds me sometimes.
    Mima I'm so sorry. That's devastating.

As for your question, I'm of the same view you are. The WC vax is at 6 weeks. I didn't let anyone who hadn't been vaccinated hold the baby. It was no issue whatsoever.

Tell your mum the GPs tend to support this 100%. I haven't found one yet that hasn't. Things were different in her day - the world wasn't full of anti-vax nitwits creating epidemics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They say 6 weeks but they are not fully vaccinated until they receive the 3rd needle at 6 months.

We asked all family to get the booster (which they did) and were very strict on hand sanitizing and not letting anyone visit who had recently been sick.