+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Visitors and whooping cough vax

I thought my mother was happy to get the whooping cough vax so she could see the baby when he's born but when I spoke with her today she scoffed at the thought and said, "You'll find it very hard to police this given people will want to see the baby but won't want to get the vaccination".

Don't actually care to "police" anything but I would love to know why I would have to be made to feel bad about telling unvaccinated family not to visit until the baby is six months old unless they're prepared to be vaccinated. Other family members are showing signs of not wanting to listen as well. My brother's kid has never been vaccinated.

Has anyone had this issue? Or are you more casual about it? I've never had the vaccination but visited babies before, including very premature ones. It never crossed my mind to be vaccinated because I didn't know enough about it at the time and the mothers never said anything. Of course I would have either had the shot or stayed away until the baby was ready if I had.

What about taking your baby out in public or to visit friends where few people are vaccinated? What is the risk there? Finally, I've been told different things about WC vax and when it's safe for unvax people to visit. Is it six months or sooner?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mima38 For This Useful Post:

sproutx3  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    6 weeks was my understanding, as that's when bubs get their first round of vax which includes the WC shot. we were pretty militant about it with ds. only people who'd had the shot could visit and cuddle etc. when going out, we'd just keep him super close or in his pram with a muslin cloth clipped up to cover him.

we weren't really worried if others got offended or thought it was over the top. it's your baby, your rules.

please don't feel bad or guilty. all the current guidelines urge primary caregivers and their immediate family (so definitely grandparents!) to get the WC vax so I'm not sure where your family are getting the idea that your request is over the top.

just get your dh on board and present a united front. we were friendly about it, but firm. most people respected it totally and either got the vax if they wanted to visit right away, or just happily stayed away until the 6 week mark.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

mima38  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the same issue with my MIL before my baby was born. She told us we were being ridiculous and it wasn't something we should be asking people to do. She brought up the usual argument of not being able to stop people who haven't vaccinated from being near the baby.

We told her it was important to us for people in regular direct contact with him to have the vaccination and wouldn't be allowing people without the vaccination to hold him in the first six weeks.

If it's important to you then stick to it. My MIL actually admitted after she had it that her GP told her it is very dangerous and we were right to insist on family members getting it.

Maybe consider getting some information on the risks to share with family. Up to you whether or not its important enough to you to stop people. We were very clear on our expectations because I didn't want the argument after bub arrived.

Good luck, it's a tough situation to be in!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ames1988 For This Useful Post:

mima38  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Visitors and whooping cough vax

That's is quite a rude response from your mum. People may well indeed want to see the baby but it's up to the babies parents who can visit. I'm not sure how long it takes for the vaccination to be effective but the first vaccination is given when Bub is 6-8 weeks old.

From a practicality point of view it would be quite difficult to keep Bub away from potentially unvaccinated people until he/she is 6 months old - not necessarily from visitors but strangers at the shops, on the street, at cafes etc.

I asked only those people who would be spending significant amounts of time with DD to be vaccinated (ie my parents). My mum was happy to do so but she had to drag my dad to the doctor and pretty much hold him down haha. Friggin DF - DD's father - refused to get vaccinated because he's macho and stubborn 'I'm healthy, I never get sick'. Still makes me angry to this day 😡 actually I'd forgotten about it until I read your post and I'm all cranky again now 😂

Edit: if you get the vaccination at 32 ish (?) weeks pregnant you will pass some of the immunity to bub as well.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 28-08-2016 at 20:20.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

mima38  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just asked anyone who would be in regular contact with bub to get vaxxed. So my mum, sister & brother's families. Lucky thing was they all have small children so were already up to date from when they had their kids & mum got the booster when we had our DS.

I'm not too concerned about others, as they'll only see bub for a short visit, and they know to stay away if they're showing any signs of illness. We also have rules that we enforce (politely) about holding bub - no kissing, no touching face, must wash hands first. We won't get too many visitors in the first couple of months anyway as I want to be able to just settle into routine with bub before having to worry about entertaining visitors!

For going out with bub, we either use a carrier (ergo) to keep bub close and mostly covered, or throw a light wrap over the pram to keep covered.

Once bub has had first vax at 6 weeks, and then had the 2 weeks for the vax to become effective, we relax a little bit with visitors and outings. We just take regular precautions for keeping bub away from sick people and making sure people are being hygienic around them.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 28-08-2016 at 20:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

mima38  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My step-niece caught whooping cough at 4wks so my family were happy to get vaccinated, my friends were understanding and they either got the vaccine or stayed away till after her first vaccination. My IL's dragged their feet. MIL is 5 cans short of a 6 pack and believed her sister who said it was unnecessary. So we put our foot down no vaccination, no visiting. She has to be the 1st to see/hear/do everything (so much so she wanted to be at my c-section & sulked when we said no) so she got the vaccination.

With taking DD out in public I had a cover (muslin wrap or a special curtain) over her when she was sleeping so no one could get at her. Surprisingly no one really came near her to get a closer look. I only had to tell one old lady who opened the cover to please stop.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

mima38  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had anyone having regular contact get the WC vaccine, my mum was paranoid about it because I had a reaction when I was a baby and developed WC after the vaccine, but seeing me like that she also was very keen to have it done because she has seen first hand how horrible it is.
    Maybe if your mum knew what it could be like she would come around? Maybe show her the Light for Riley Facebook page so she can see how easy it is for a baby to still contract it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

mima38  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really get the push to be vaccinated just to enter the house a new baby is in.

You still have to be sick to pass on pertussis. You have to be sick, and coughing, and spray those cough droplets into the vicinity. I would really hope sick people who are actively coughing would stay the hell away from a family with a newborn. That is what I would be, and will be, and have been, most uptight about. No illness around us when we have a newborn. We effectively quarantine ourselves for at least a month. And of course breastfeeding whenever possible for its amazing protective effects.

Unfortunately you can be an almost silent carrier of pertussis when you are vaccinated, and that makes me more nervous - people think, "oh, I'm vaccinated, this cough is nothing" and go about their business, spreading it around the shops, schools, workplaces. But it can still be pertussis, just with much milder symptoms and no "whoop" for the vaccinated person. Not so for very little non vaccinated people.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-08-2016),mima38  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Show your mother, and other anti people, the Light for Riley Facebook page. Last year, a baby in Perth died of WC and the information and their experiences they share is real (and it breaks your heart).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

mima38  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like older generations think it's a bit silly and we're being paranoid because it wasn't a 'thing' in their day and we all turned out fine. I mentioned it casually to my dad as they are flying in from South Africa to visit for a few weeks and his response was "we'll look into whether it's a requirement to enter Australia". I corrected him and said its a requirement for me, because they're travelling on a 13hr flight with hundreds of strangers and visiting before LO is 6 weeks old. I could hear that he thought I was being ridiculous and my dad is the kind of person who would say he's got the vaccination but actually didn't... My mom is visiting for a month from week 1 so she has no choice in the matter, especially considering that she is often sick with bronchitis and similar so I'm just not willing to risk it. There is definitely more emphasis on it in Australia though, none of my friends and family back in South Africa even knew it was an issue.

I don't think I'll ask it of all visitors, more those that will be regularly visiting. I plan to be very strict on anyone who is sick though, won't have anyone visiting if they even have a slight cold. Another big one to watch out for is cold sores, I believe they are very dangerous for a newborn and often people may have had one and it's almost healed but they don't tell you.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

mima38  (30-08-2016)