+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not wanting a hormonal contraception post partum

Is there anything out there apart from abstinence, condoms or fertility awareness method (FAM) that isn't a hormonal form of contraception? I have tracked my cycle for a while now (have slacked off now I'm pregnant again). I always found it hard to interpret my cervical mucus and position, and having long cycles (anywhere from 27-59 days, usually around 41 odd days) I get a lot of mixed signals from my body. I don't tend to get any other symptoms that may indicate ovulation.
    After bub #1 (breastfed), my period didn't return till he was 12.5 months, and I believe that's only because we night weaned at 11 months. We were using condoms as a precaution until we decided to start trying for bub #2 just prior to our first turning 2, but wondering what else there is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Copper IUD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, forgot about the copper one, but after hearing of several bad stories regarding the mirena, I'm very vary of IUD's, copper or hormonal. And being such a long term contraception, and we will likely want to try for #3 in another 2-3 years after #2 arrives, not overly keen.
    I did have good success on implanon, but again, more wisdom makes me not want that again either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the copper iud in between baby #2 and 3(pregnant currently). I had it in for about 11 months I found it great. At first my periods were heavy but after a few cycles they settled down. I will definitely get it again after #3 arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What were your cycles like to start with? Mine are long (around 41 days, but have been as short as 27 days and as long as 59 days). They're pretty light, so having heavy periods scare me, especially doing home and community care, it's not always possible to change at clients houses, and my hours are unpredictable too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately there is little choice if you do not want hormonal contraception. If you are comfortable another option is diaphragm?

Otherwise the only other things I can think of are condoms, copper iud, vasectomy/tie tubes or family planning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Nexcare99  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No unfortunately it's just condoms, copper iud, tubes tied, the snip and abstinence. Oh and the diaphragm.

I'm tossing up the two IUDs. We're using condoms but I want something more reliable that I don't have to stress about. Af isn't back yet at 7 months pp but don't think it will be far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    I had the copper iud in between baby #2 and 3(pregnant currently). I had it in for about 11 months I found it great. At first my periods were heavy but after a few cycles they settled down. I will definitely get it again after #3 arrives.
    How bad were they? I've read it's soak through a super tampon and pad bad. Also constant cervical mucus at other points in your cycle. But if it settles down after a few cycles I think I might try it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They were heavy after having my first as well so I can't say if it was just because of post partum reasons and they would've settled down on their own or not. It was great as the copper settled down my restless legs. I took a zinc tablet daily to help excrete the copper that may be absorbed systemically and other than that had no issues. It probably took 4-5 cycles to settle down. I think you either love it or hate it. I had it taken out December last year and started ttc April this year as I just wanted a few cycles on my own.