+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please! Bub HATES his capsule

This was the last thing I expected. DS (two weeks old) hates his capsule. He will sit there for 10 minutes max, then start tugging on the little harness and after 15 minutes start to scream his head off. We have a steelcraft capsule but the layout seems to be similar to other models (the fact there is a little seat belt / harness) and the angle...

did anyone have similar issues? Could he be getting motion sick (rear facing, backseat)?

Please tell me he will grow out of it. It really restricts what we can do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both my kids were in carseats but hated them. Many many screaming car trips. Now DD is almost 5 months she can be dostracted for 10 mins but then screams.

Nothing I have done works. DS only stopped when he changed to forward facing.

I think its a mix of hating being unable to move, not being near mum and not being able to see anything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You could try a rear facing car seat. We didn't use a capsule with DS, but did with DD and she HATED it. Would scream when the car wasn't moving, or if she was in it out of the car. So I just put her in a rear facing seat and she was much happier. Was painful having to get her out and into the pram if she was sleeping, but she was happy, so it was worth it. I think sometimes babies just don't like the angle they are at in the capsule.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

amyd  (27-08-2016),NORgirl  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try a 0-4 rear facing car seat. You'll need a car seat anyway so you're not really losing anything to try it now.
    We didn't have DD in a capsule but she HATED the car seat we had from newborn. Got to the point when she was 3-4 months old I had massive anxiety if I had to go anywhere in the car with her in desperation I asked at baby bunting and they flat out said try a new seat so I did and as soon as she got in the new seat she stopped screaming. For some reason she just hated that infasecure seat, interestingly when I bought the new seat I put her in her existing infasecure seat in the showroom (display model) and she cried straight away they said sometimes they just don't like the fabric or buckles or something. She's now 14 months and still rear facing no problems.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

amyd  (27-08-2016),NORgirl  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please! Bub HATES his capsule

DS2 hated the capsule. Screamed hysterically the entire time he was in it. Changed him to a rear facing seat hoping it would improve - made absolutely no difference at all. He is now almost 4 and still hates the car seat.

Not much help but honestly there was nothing we could do to change it for him. He eventually calmed down from the hysterics (around 2.5 years) when he was interested enough to watch TV shows on the iPad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh OP I am lucky enough to live in a place where I can catch public transport. So during the week I bus/train everywhere (I babywear and DD is okish in the pram now) as it is the best way to keep DD calm (was the same with DS). Yes its annoying and takes longer to get places but I do it for my sanity. And DS loves the bus/train - probably from doing it when he was younger (same with the shops!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Oh OP I am lucky enough to live in a place where I can catch public transport. So during the week I bus/train everywhere (I babywear and DD is okish in the pram now) as it is the best way to keep DD calm (was the same with DS). Yes its annoying and takes longer to get places but I do it for my sanity. And DS loves the bus/train - probably from doing it when he was younger (same with the shops!)
    Yes! Our current solution is the Moby wrap / baby bjoern but we were hoping to get some use out of our caravan... But getting to campsites invariably involves driving

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son hated his capsule too, as soon as we moved to a rear facing car seat he was so happy in the car.
    Plus, as the capsule was still in great condition it resold for a great price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This just started happening to me with my DS, we are purchasing a rear facing car seat as pp had suggested. Fingers crossed it goes well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kidsafe had a stall at Bunnings today and DH had a chat to them. It seems the problem isn't that uncommon.

kidsafe do rent out seats so we may try that for a few days before we buy another one...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NORgirl For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (03-09-2016)