+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4yo still not sleeping through night

Ds is 4 and I have had enough of him not sleeping through the night from birth until now. It's once a night he might wake and cry or grizzle then sleep again and be up at 530am. We do co sleep. I tried getting him to his bed but I gave in because I would have to get up in the night and be up with him while he was scared or wanted me to stay and sleep with him

Even with co sleeping he wakes up. I'm soooo sooo tired
    Can someone please help.. What do I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 4 and also doesn't sleep through the night. He has at times (when I tried controlled crying etc). He's in his own room and isn't scared but will wake, walk to my room and I walk him back to bed and he goes straight back to sleep. I also have a 3 year old (he sleeps most of the time) and I'm 5 months pregnant so this is killing me.
    No advice because nothing has worked for me. Just wanted you to know your not alone x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no advice but you're not alone.

My 6.5 still wakes and comes into my bed every single night. I just go with the flow now. Otheriwise I wouldn't be able to cope.

Hugs. I hope it doesn't last much longer for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS still wakes at 3.5. Mostly to go to the toilet bit he gets scared/cold etc. Tbh I am doing anything to change. I just tend to go to bed earlier some nights to catch up on sleep...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he have a day nap? What time does he go to bed? 5.30 is early for you to be up My 4yo goes to sleep in her own bed, but most nights will wander into our bed around 4am. I'm fine with this, she goes straight back to sleep with no whinging etc. Would he go to sleep in his own bed? Sorry,I'm not much help

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4yo still not sleeping through night

Yeah my dd1 who is 3.5 years still needs something once a night most nights. Toilet, cuddle, dropped her teddy, etc even though she's perfectly capable of looking after herself.

She has always been an early riser up around 5am, she goes to bed early and so do I ☺️

I'm surprisingly ok with it now. It's only 5 minutes of my time during the night and I often go to the toilet myself when she wakes me.

Does he stay awake for long periods? I think I might be reading it wrong - it gives the impression he only wakes briefly once a night? Why are you so tired? Do you go to bed early enough?

(Eta: my dd naps some days and not others. It makes no difference to the time she wakes up)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 27-08-2016 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Does he have a day nap? What time does he go to bed? 5.30 is early for you to be up My 4yo goes to sleep in her own bed, but most nights will wander into our bed around 4am. I'm fine with this, she goes straight back to sleep with no whinging etc. Would he go to sleep in his own bed? Sorry,I'm not much help
    We wake up at 5 to get to work. DS gets up between 5-6 most days. Today it was after 7.

It is strange to sleep late in this house in the morning!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    We wake up at 5 to get to work. DS gets up between 5-6 most days. Today it was after 7.

It is strange to sleep late in this house in the morning!
    I'm an early riser too. I was trying to be sympathetic lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 year old still wakes every night! I figure it won't last forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 30 and have never slept through the night, I get up to pee, have a drink, maybe a snack, adjust the blankets, etc. So I would say that's normal. But I can do all those things and put myself back to bed without waking anyone else, which I think is the actual problem for you.
    What is he needing from you at night? Is he hungry/thirsty/cold/scared/just in need of comfort? I would try and address it from that approach. Like have a bottle of water and snack out for him, or a night light, or a special toy to cuddle....

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (28-08-2016),gingermillie  (28-08-2016),harvs  (27-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-08-2016)