+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Painful braxton hicks

I've been having BH contractions for months but they have mostly been mild tightenings until the past week or so (currently 29 + weeks).

They are quite frequent but not regular. I get them a few times an hour and they are strong, sometimes quite painful, and it's hard to breathe through them half the time. It's comes often with lower back pain.

Is it normal to get such painful BH contractions so early on and do you think this means Bub will come early? (Not expecting him to come any time soon but before 40 weeks wouldn't be too bad..)

This is my 3rd baby and I've never had BH like this before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My BH with on my third pregnancy were the most powerful/painful I've experienced as well. My OB advised around the same time, I was about 30-31 weeks that's it's quite normal for subsequent pregnancies.

DS3 was born at 37+6 and for the last 3-4 weeks my BH were superstring and 24/7. It was exhausting!

As long as they are irregular and last under a minute I wouldn't be worried. Still discuss with your OB/midwife and let them know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post

As long as they are irregular and last under a minute I wouldn't be worried. Still discuss with your OB/midwife and let them know.
    My contractions started out less than a minute and I had a baby 2 hours later lol. They were regular though.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-08-2016),witherwings  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was getting them from 30+ weeks. So painful is wasn't funny but my on said it was normal. DS was delivered at 37+2 wks but this was planned as an emergency c-sec due to other medical complications

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had them, painful and with cramping, occasional lower back pain for days/weeks on end a couple weeks ago, at about 24/25 weeks. They would actually wake me in the early morning, I was convinced I was going into labour!
    I've started a magnesium/calcium supplement and they settled right down within about 48 hours. I now only notice them once every few days. It's a real relief because the thought of going another 3-4 months with them as they were was horrible.

ETA It's my third baby too, they certainly do seem to increase with each preg and start sooner

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies ladies! I'll ask my ob about taking magnesium/calcium supplements! Cheers!

I really wouldn't mind Bub coming at 37 weeks! That would be a nice change from going overdue & then inductions with my first 2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also had them more frequently and stronger with my third. They started quite early on too, I often lost plug (but not a show) throughout the pregnancy from around 32 weeks. She ended up coming at 36+1 weeks and was my only baby (out of four) to engage and labour to start by waters breaking, in fact she was my only pregnancy when my waters broke spontaneously. I often had runs of painful braxton hicks but they were never regular and would go away with enough rest, my third was my most painful pregnancy out of all four.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Thanks for your replies ladies! I'll ask my ob about taking magnesium/calcium supplements! Cheers!

I really wouldn't mind Bub coming at 37 weeks! That would be a nice change from going overdue & then inductions with my first 2!
    Try a magnesium spray (as in spray on skin). It absorbs better than tablets. You'll find the spray in a health food store and not the chemist.

I found magnesium helped cramps/restless legs in pregnancy. And I have heard that it can help BH

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (30-08-2016)