+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 14 month old waking multiple times at night

I m breaking down. It is midnight and my 14 month old baby has woken up crying, the first of many times to come through the night. And it has been going on since months. Teething, night terrors or a general bad sleeper, I do not know anymore. Have tried everything, good bedtime routine, changing sleep times, panadol, etc etc. if she doesn't wake up, she wriggles and squirms all night. My cheerful baby during the day just disappears.
    All I know is it is slowly taking a toll on me. It gets better, the internet screams at me. But I am tired of waiting.
    Its been a year since I had a good 7 hours sleep. It has been a year since I have been fully rested.
    When does it get better?
    Ps- sorry for the rant but i am so afraid this will go on forever...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

It won't go on forever, I promise you. My ds1 was a horrible sleeper and then all of the sudden, literally the day he mastered walking when he was 17 months, he started sleeping through and has been an amazing sleeper ever since. He is 2.5 years old now and will nap 2-3 hours a day and sleep 12 hours at night with no wake ups. I feel with him sleeping through was developmental but he was also easily disturbed by ever milestone he went through.

Her sleeping will get better, I promise you. Is she trying to master any skill right now?

And now to take my own advice as I go through this with ds2!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Lifesgood29  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs. It does improve. My DS hates sleep. We've tried everything except CIO/CC - these are not for us. He's 21 months now. For a while now it's been only one waking (very brief and back to sleep almost straight away). He's had a few nights where he's slept through. He just needed to get there by himself. I know it's hard. I know you are just so tired. Do you have anyone who would come and help you over night for a few days? I know it's easy to suggest and hard to implement, but even a couple of nights where you get some more sleep will make you feel better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put a thread on here a while ago about my toddler (I think she was 16 months) sleeping terribly. I was only getting 2 hrs sleep a night & I was at my wits end. I did controlled crying. It took 3 nights, with maybe 20 mins of crying each night. By the 4th night, she was sleeping through 12 hours & now only wakes when she is sick. I wish I had done CC earlier. But it definitely isn't for everyone, & it isn't easy.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-08-2016),Lifesgood29  (29-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-08-2016),Redcorset  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    OP, big hugs! My DS was 14 months when he started sleeping through and boy was I ready for it!

What is her current schedule like? How long does she nap and what time(s)?

Is she fed to sleep, rocked to sleep, pat to sleep or does she self settle?

Also it's great you've tried lots of things but how long do you persist each time you change what you do? I ask as there's no point trying something for just 1 or 2 days, you need to try if for at least a week.

How do you settle her when she wakes at night?

It's so hard to find the 1 (or 2 or 3) things that will work. I like to think that most sleep issues can be solved with changing things up. I also acknowledge there can be medical reasons babies and toddlers don't sleep well (tonsils, adenoids, untreated reflux, food intolerances, recurring ear inventions etc) and that in some cases its wholly developmental (like in holly's case) and other kids can just be horrible horrible sleepers. But in the camp of trying everything before accepting a child is a horrible sleeper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice OP but I wanted to let you know I'm in the exact same boat with my 14 month old DD. I was so against CIO but got desperate and tried it but she gets so worked up she vomits. I can't do it so have reverted back to rocking to sleep and co sleeping for my own sanity. I get so angry and frustrated! Lack of sleep really is a killer.
    I hope both our DD's figure it out soon xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Furmumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies, hugs and encouragement. Now its daytime and when I see her smiling face, I just cant believe she is the same crying mess at night.
    We co-sleep and she is nursed just before she sleeps. I would understand if she wakes up wanting the breast again, but she wakes up crying and when i offer her the breast, she literally pushes it away. She seems to be in a daze(night terror?). And when she becomes more aware, so to say, she will fall asleep again. Yeah, she is not exactly self-soothing, though. Sometimes I hear her grinding her teeth as well.
    She naps 2-3 hours a day.
    She started walking without support at 11 months. Now she does babble a lot, is that her way of trying to talk/mastering a new skill?
    Last edited by Lifesgood29; 27-08-2016 at 19:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Maybe. Do you have the wonder weeks app or book? That's good at explaining developmental milestones and phases.

But..how long has she been doing the waking and crying like she's in a daze? It does sound a bit like a night terror and I remember ds1 having them sometime around 18 months. He will also get them if he's overtired or has been unwell and I know some kids get them if they're too hot. For us he's just had a few and then stopped on his own so we haven't had to do anything but I know that if they seem to be happening the same time every night there's a theory that if you go in and gently wake them about 15 mins before they normally happen you restart their sleep cycle and ideally skip the night terror. I know a few moms have had success with that on the hub, they do it for a week or so to break the habit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly I totally get your pain. DS woke up multiple times at night until he was 2 - only started mostly sleeping through at 2.5.

I wonder if there is some teething atm? You mentioned teeth grinding and it made me think of that. Especially if it has gotten worse (I vaguely remember there were more wakeups for DS around that time).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 (20 months) has NEVER slept th right the night. I am a wreck. I am too nervous tondo any form of CC as her room is so close to our neighbours and they already think we are the worlds noisiest family! The thing is, though, I know it works, as we did a pretty gentle version of it with DD1 and she slept through the night almost immediately when we started!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post: