+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,249
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a questionable experience with a vet last year. Had my male cat booked in to be desexed through one clinic, paid upfront (I do this because a family member often helps by bringing the cat home for me) and went about my business. They phoned an hour or so later saying my cat could not be desexed because of a pre existing health issue, however I would not be refunded the cost of the operation because they had to perform a consultation to tell me he wasn't well enough. The consultation included listening to his heart for a few minutes.

    Took my kitty back to a different clinic this year, told them about the previous experience, they agreed to book him in and take a look, when they decided not to operate they refunded the whole amount no questions asked. You really do have to be careful on clinics, some seem very grabby.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,064
    Thanks
    2,315
    Thanked
    1,392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I had a questionable experience with a vet last year. Had my male cat booked in to be desexed through one clinic, paid upfront (I do this because a family member often helps by bringing the cat home for me) and went about my business. They phoned an hour or so later saying my cat could not be desexed because of a pre existing health issue, however I would not be refunded the cost of the operation because they had to perform a consultation to tell me he wasn't well enough. The consultation included listening to his heart for a few minutes.

    Took my kitty back to a different clinic this year, told them about the previous experience, they agreed to book him in and take a look, when they decided not to operate they refunded the whole amount no questions asked. You really do have to be careful on clinics, some seem very grabby.
    I've been to a restaurant before and been given a free bottle of wine with dinner but that doesn't make all the other restaurants that charge me for a bottle of wine a rip off.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (29-08-2016),nh2489  (30-08-2016),VicPark  (29-08-2016)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,064
    Thanks
    2,315
    Thanked
    1,392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It came to my attention in a separate thread recently how much vets get paid. $55k for someone starting out after finishing 5 (?) years of study and racking up a large HECS debt. These aren't millionaires trying to swindle pensioners out of their savings - they are people trying to earn a living and who also happen to be saving the lives of our furry / feathered / scaly friends.

    Kudos to vets!!

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (29-08-2016),nh2489  (30-08-2016),VicPark  (29-08-2016)

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,249
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I've been to a restaurant before and been given a free bottle of wine with dinner but that doesn't make all the other restaurants that charge me for a bottle of wine a rip off.
    Um, that's why I said to be careful, not to start picketing all vet clinics. Take a chill pill.

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,573
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    It came to my attention in a separate thread recently how much vets get paid. $55k for someone starting out after finishing 5 (?) years of study and racking up a large HECS debt. These aren't millionaires trying to swindle pensioners out of their savings - they are people trying to earn a living and who also happen to be saving the lives of our furry / feathered / scaly friends.

    Kudos to vets!!
    That was me. I've just checked the award and for a new grad it's less than 50K. Only $23.93 an hour.

    A level 4 vet would be someone who can manage a branch clinic, write policies , supervise staff. Their award wage is just shy of $67K annually.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (30-08-2016)

  9. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    991
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked
    271
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    That was me. I've just checked the award and for a new grad it's less than 50K. Only $23.93 an hour.

    A level 4 vet would be someone who can manage a branch clinic, write policies , supervise staff. Their award wage is just shy of $67K annually.
    It really isn't much considering the responsibility, level and range of knowledge required and hours worked. We are very lucky to have a wonderful regular vet and specialist/24hr emergency centre that we use and trust.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (30-08-2016)

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,850
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,897
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm certainly not undermining the training/cost/care of vets as a profession. Personally I think it's the most difficult occupation that exists given you are required to know dozens of animals. I'm well aware there are brilliant vets out there that don't overcharge and just trying to pay their bills like the postie, nurse or check out chick.

    But there are unscrupulous ones out there, just like in every single occupation. I go to my dr and I have a throat infection. He looks in my throat and ears, listens to my chest. I then tell him 'while I'm here' (which I do all the time with our family gp), I have x going on and he checks that too. For the same price. Yes there are long consults for around $100+ but I find they are very rarely billed as such except in cases like getting implanton for example, which it is a long procedure. Yes my gp gets medicare rebate but at the end of the day he's only charging for that 15 min period.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked
    94
    Reviews
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm certainly not undermining the training/cost/care of vets as a profession. Personally I think it's the most difficult occupation that exists given you are required to know dozens of animals. I'm well aware there are brilliant vets out there that don't overcharge and just trying to pay their bills like the postie, nurse or check out chick.

    But there are unscrupulous ones out there, just like in every single occupation. I go to my dr and I have a throat infection. He looks in my throat and ears, listens to my chest. I then tell him 'while I'm here' (which I do all the time with our family gp), I have x going on and he checks that too. For the same price. Yes there are long consults for around $100+ but I find they are very rarely billed as such except in cases like getting implanton for example, which it is a long procedure. Yes my gp gets medicare rebate but at the end of the day he's only charging for that 15 min period.
    Yep this! I think there are good and bad in every profession.
    Unfortunately there is often more than one way to treat a condition and I have found there are some vets who will recommend more than necessary tests/procedures.
    I personally have been totally ripped off by a vet once. It was a very unpleasant experience. Op I would have been very annoyed at that consult fee. I would have paid it obviously, but would find a new vet or get confirmation of fees in the future before I agree to anything.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    23
    Reviews
    0
    Without arguing with those posters who have had a bad experience with a vet in the past.
    But before jumping on the vet bashing train, perhaps people might give some thought to what might be involved in running a veterinary practice, and where that $60 consult fee might go to rather than just assuming that it lines the pocket of the vet themselves: Rent, electricity, (wages for vets, nurses, receptionists, admin staff etc), continuing education for all staff so that they can do their absolute best for your pet, insurance, cost of stock (medications, consumables, prescription food etc) that they keep on hand so that it is there when your pet has a health crisis, not a week or two later when its too late to matter. Add on to this the cost of diagnostic equipment - pets don't get to go down to the local imaging branch for an xray in the middle of the night - your vet likely has had to pay outright or be paying off equipment that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars so that they can do the best for your pet. An example would be digital radiography for the hips that was indicated on the OP. In this case not an emergency, but how about when your dog has been hit by a car and your vet spends hours on the phone after emailing the xrays to specialists overseas in order to save his life.
    Vets don't get the luxury of the patient telling them what hurts or how they feel, the vet has to use diagnositics (lab tests, radiographs, ultrasound) to help them to find out the problem. They shouldn't be punished for charging for the time and equipment necessary to facilitate this - or would you prefer that they charge less and just guess what the problem is. Many of us here have needed IVF in our baby journeys - how about we just skip a few scans and blood tests and see how that progesterone goes to save a few bucks? - except at least medicare helps humans out a bit with the costs.
    As a previous poster noted, solicitors account for every 15 minutes of the day and charge you for every photocopy, but vets and their support staff are made to feel awful by legitimately putting a fair value on the time and experience of all their staff within the team. Its no wonder lots of wonderful vet staff leave the profession for jobs where they can feel more valued and remove the pressure from these sort of generalised comments and bashing from people who have little thought about the turning of the wheels to keep veterinary practice doors open and providing the best care they can. The people who are so quick to judge all vets negatively also might like to google about the suicide rate within the veterinary profession.
    That's my rant, I have spent the day thinking about this thread, and decided I couldn't sleep tonight without posting my thoughts. I'll now sleep a little better, and calm in the knowledge that if I have an emergency with my dogs or horses in the wee hours, help is but a phone call away from my vet who is ever ready 24/7.

  14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TwiceBlessed For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (29-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (30-08-2016),Kaybaby  (30-08-2016),LoveLivesHere  (30-08-2016),Mad84  (30-08-2016),nh2489  (30-08-2016),TheGooch  (29-08-2016),Tropical Bub  (30-08-2016)

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,573
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceBlessed View Post
    Without arguing with those posters who have had a bad experience with a vet in the past.
    But before jumping on the vet bashing train, perhaps people might give some thought to what might be involved in running a veterinary practice, and where that $60 consult fee might go to rather than just assuming that it lines the pocket of the vet themselves: Rent, electricity, (wages for vets, nurses, receptionists, admin staff etc), continuing education for all staff so that they can do their absolute best for your pet, insurance, cost of stock (medications, consumables, prescription food etc) that they keep on hand so that it is there when your pet has a health crisis, not a week or two later when its too late to matter. Add on to this the cost of diagnostic equipment - pets don't get to go down to the local imaging branch for an xray in the middle of the night - your vet likely has had to pay outright or be paying off equipment that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars so that they can do the best for your pet. An example would be digital radiography for the hips that was indicated on the OP. In this case not an emergency, but how about when your dog has been hit by a car and your vet spends hours on the phone after emailing the xrays to specialists overseas in order to save his life.
    Vets don't get the luxury of the patient telling them what hurts or how they feel, the vet has to use diagnositics (lab tests, radiographs, ultrasound) to help them to find out the problem. They shouldn't be punished for charging for the time and equipment necessary to facilitate this - or would you prefer that they charge less and just guess what the problem is. Many of us here have needed IVF in our baby journeys - how about we just skip a few scans and blood tests and see how that progesterone goes to save a few bucks? - except at least medicare helps humans out a bit with the costs.
    As a previous poster noted, solicitors account for every 15 minutes of the day and charge you for every photocopy, but vets and their support staff are made to feel awful by legitimately putting a fair value on the time and experience of all their staff within the team. Its no wonder lots of wonderful vet staff leave the profession for jobs where they can feel more valued and remove the pressure from these sort of generalised comments and bashing from people who have little thought about the turning of the wheels to keep veterinary practice doors open and providing the best care they can. The people who are so quick to judge all vets negatively also might like to google about the suicide rate within the veterinary profession.
    That's my rant, I have spent the day thinking about this thread, and decided I couldn't sleep tonight without posting my thoughts. I'll now sleep a little better, and calm in the knowledge that if I have an emergency with my dogs or horses in the wee hours, help is but a phone call away from my vet who is ever ready 24/7.
    There was no love button so I had to reply with this


 

Similar Threads

  1. Any vets able to help?
    By Tinkers in forum Pets
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-08-2016, 08:38
  2. any vets out there that can help?
    By loodle in forum Pets
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-04-2016, 13:21
  3. Any vets here??
    By monnie24 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-10-2015, 10:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!