+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vets or vet techs...question regarding fees.

We have a lab that we got from the breeder for free and she gets two litters. So today I took her to the vet to have her xrays for her hip scoring which the breeder pays for. when I brought her in I asked if they could check her ears while she was under as I think she might have an infection. I rang to see how she was and how her ears are and was informed if I want the vet to check the ears I'll have to pay a $60 consultation fee plus tests and medication. I'm more than happy to pay the tests and medication but I really think it's bull**** to charge a consultation fee when she was already there and under anesthesia. Is this normal? I feel I've been ripped off by them before and like this is a major rip off as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's standard, she was there to have a set procedure done which is billed because of the amount of time it takes. To do a proper ear exam would take more time and would also require a vet to talk to you and take and history of the problem as well as formulate a plan.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (27-08-2016),nh2489  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok...I think I'm annoyed because last time I rang to ask how much to get my other dogs nails clipped and was told $15. I get there and take her in and the vet starts looking at her and checking her out. Then charged me $75 for nails and a consultation. I never asked for a consultation. That ****ed me off and I thought it was sneaky so I don't trust him now. I'll be changing vets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A vet that you trust is so worth it. We have an amazing vet who has quoted us for two operations and both times the final bill has come in 100s of dollars below the quote. It's a pleasant surprise. He said vet bill shocks can be awful and so he always estimates worst case scenario that way if it costs that well we were prepared but most times it will come under. We had a $1300 surgery done recently and the 2 post surgery consults have always been free. Find a new vet, not because they charged you for the ears bit because you need one you can trust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    Ok...I think I'm annoyed because last time I rang to ask how much to get my other dogs nails clipped and was told $15. I get there and take her in and the vet starts looking at her and checking her out. Then charged me $75 for nails and a consultation. I never asked for a consultation. That ****ed me off and I thought it was sneaky so I don't trust him now. I'll be changing vets.
    I would have questioned them on that. It's possible that the vet didn't realise it was just a nail trim - often they are done by the nurses anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes..our old one was lovely. I only switched when we lost our old dog and got the new puppy because this one is closer. I'll be going back to the other one for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I would have questioned them on that. It's possible that the vet didn't realise it was just a nail trim - often they are done by the nurses anyway.
    I did and was told because she hadn't been there before it was a consultation 😤

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    I did and was told because she hadn't been there before it was a consultation
    No on! I'm a vet and if they book in for a nail trim that's what they get - we'd probably tee the nurse up to ask question about regular health care though, things like making sure she was vaccinated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah she was already fully vaccinated and up to date with everything. I had her full file with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, it's actually not that hard to check the ears under GA as an added thing, a quick look and a swab, the nurse can stain it and have it under the microscope without any hassle. When I was working if we had a pet in for a procedure and the owner wanted us to quickly double check something the only thing that would cost more were any meds needed or tests to be done. I think charging a consult is dumb.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

CanadianKangaroo  (27-08-2016)