+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    High chair is a must. I cringe when I see parents feeding on lap. I try not to judge but I think it's all my time in speech with DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I

I think trust your instincts & read your baby, not the calendar, as VP said. The general guideline is to start solids by 6 months but not before 4 months. I started two children at 5 months, and one from 6 months, although at 18 months she is still not that interested in food. My kids were terrible breastfeeders & couldnt have formula due to allergies, so I was breastfeeding for up to 16 hours a day at that age, plus expressing and bottle feeding some very unsatisfied babies. So for us, solids were a godsend! It was so much easier and quicker to prepare some food and give it to the baby rather than breastfeed for an hour, followed by bottlefeeding EBM, followed by expressing (and hoping you can get enough out to satisfy the hungry baby), followed by tending to cracked, bleeding nipples. Plus, the baby was actually happy and content after a solid feed, which she wasnt after a breastfeed. So obviously it is a very individual thing, & you know your child best

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BB77  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    High chair is a must. I cringe when I see parents feeding on lap. I try not to judge but I think it's all my time in speech with DS
    How is speech related?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post

My DD1 however started at 4 months and swallowed it and loved it. But she spewed up all night after that first try so I didn't go back again till 5m and it went fine then
    This is what I'm afraid of. I reckon he'll take it and like it, but not sure if the gut is ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    How is speech related?
    We went to speech/ot for feeding. They suggested no feeding until you can sit. Also in a good high chair where feet and chest are sitting within chin I hope I make sense I'm not good at explaining online. DS has bad feeding issues

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both of mine started at 6 months (maybe the week before or after, I can't remember!). We did baby led weaning, I totally cbf with purées and stuff lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    tried purées again this afternoon with the same pathetic results. I'm giving him a Frenched lamb cutlet tomorrow lol. he has great hand control and is very dexterous in bringing his rusk to his mouth etc so just going to dive in and see how we go. I'm finding purées exhausting and annoying.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (27-08-2016),JR03  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 6 months old and l still don't feed solids every single day yet. She has maybe yoghurt or some porridge from my bowl in the morn after her bottle or some pureed or finely grated food. I've given her grated cheese, she likes that, she's had pureed chicken and veges when l made a roast the other night. I just forget sometimes lol. We don't have a high chair yet but she sits in her ingenuity chair...she seems to have got the swallowing sorted now. She was spitting food out for a while there.
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 27-08-2016 at 17:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking forward to purées! I'll probably eat my words later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    I'm looking forward to purées! I'll probably eat my words later.
    You know to be honest l don't find it all that painful. I've got a stick blender which purees really well. I just steam veges n then blend while still hot then freeze straight away in little containers. But each to their own preferences.