When did you start solids? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did you start solids?

My DS is almost 5 months and I want to start him on solids this weekend. He seems ready, good head control, grabbing at my food, etc.
    Only thing is, he's not able to sit upright. Even when I support him, prop him up, he's usually a little hunched. Does it matter? When did you start giving bub solids? And where did you sit them? My DS isn't ready for a high chair.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started dd at 16 weeks. She sat up in her bumbo but mostly a bouncer type seat which is quite upright. At 21 weeks she moved into a high chair.
    Hope this helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default When did you start solids?

Yes I think it does matter, they should be physically ready to start solids and the 3 things they need to be able to do before eating solids are: 1) sitting unaided 2) lost tongue reflex 3) can pick up food( or have a basic pincher grasp - most of these things start around 6 months ( current recommendation) so there really is no need to rush it ( unless advised by a Dr ) as breast/bottle is still far more important at this age
    We started a day before 6 months with cucumber sticks dipped in goats yogurt , DS always sat in a high chair when eating

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016),SoThisIsLove  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it does matter. My DD is almost 5 months and sits like that. No way would I start solids (although my DD hunches a little more - fascinated with feet!). Remember all the nutrition is still from milk so he is not missing out.

I will also point out DD grabs everything including food. And tries to put it all in her mouth. She still is not ready IMO.

Ultimately up to you! You know your baby. If you think that he is ready just try a little (it will only be a teaspoon or so anyway).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah maybe I'll wait a bit. When are you thinking of starting @twinklify?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will add. As what Elijahs Mum said - I was recommended by a paediatrician to start solids when I did 3 x a day from 4 months.
    And as what the others have said you do know your own child!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes I think it does matter, they should be physically ready to start solids and the 3 things they need to be able to do before eating solids are: 1) sitting unaided 2) lost tongue reflex 3) can pick up food( or have a basic pincher grasp - most of these things start around 6 months ( current recommendation) so there really is no need to rush it ( unless advised by a Dr ) as breast/bottle is still far more important at this age
    We started a day before 6 months with cucumber sticks dipped in goats yogurt , DS always sat in a high chair when eating
    Can you explain number 2? What's the tongue reflex? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Can you explain number 2? What's the tongue reflex? Thanks!
    Babies naturally have a tongue thrust reflex. So when something is placed in their mouth the tongue reflexively thrusts it out of the mouth. This disappears around 5-6 months in most children. The absence of the tongue thrust is one of the signs of readiness for solids.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016),SoThisIsLove  (27-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my boys started around 5 and a half months. I had 6-months-ish in my head but waited for them to be ready - I don't see the point holding off for a magical date, just as I don't see a point pushing them before they're ready.

There was probably only a week or so between being ready and not being ready - for me it was very obvious as my boys suddenly looked extremely excited to see food - gesturing and mouth wide open and then swallowing easily (and wanting more more more!).

I think all babies are very different though. I am grateful I haven't had trouble so far - however I worry DS2 enjoys solids 'too much' and will take less breastmilk, which is still the most important source of nutrition at this age.
    I have to say though, the pressure to start before 6 months is huge these days. I've had a paediatrician and health nurse make me feel bad for not having started by 5 months. I think you really have to trust your own instinct.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016),turquoisecoast  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my ds started at 5m and had all the above - can sit upright, no tongue thrust, seems interested/grabs at our food. solids is going terribly however as he seems to hate being spoon fed and/or purées. which makes me think he's not ready!?

solids is overrated!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

BB77  (26-08-2016)