35 weeks pregnant and severely homesick | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 35 weeks pregnant and severely homesick

Hi I've recently just joined Bubhub. I am originally from London and moved here with my husband in January 2016 (he's from Australia). I am 35 weeks pregnant with our first baby which is due in October. We're currently living in Melbourne and we're both working.

Neither of us particularly like Melbourne - haven't settled in here or made friends etc, so we have decided to try Sydney out and will move there in Feb next year.

Right now, I'm feeling ever more down about how to cope with a newborn without any family or friends. I know hormones probably has a huge part to play in it, but I'm just concerned that these feelings will get worse.

I've really struggled to integrate well here in Melbourne and I'm not sure why as I've moved around the UK a fair bit and always found it relatively easy to make friends.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are there any other ex-pat mums out there who are living in either Melbourne or Sydney that are in the same or similar boat who would like to meet up? It's so darn hard doing a pregnancy without any support and much as my husband has been wonderful, it's not the same and I miss the support of a group of female friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ronnie!
    Couldn't read and not reply! Any plans for your mum or inlaws to visit?
    I'm scottish and live in Sydney, currently 30 weeks with #2. Id be happy to meet for a play when you get to Sydney. I'm quite fortunate that I have my parents and brother here but can totally imagine how hard it must be for you. Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi op! Congrats on your pregnancy.
    I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way. I can only imagine how challenging it would be. Everyone's experience is so different but I have found that when you have your first baby LOTS of new social networks open up to you. Mothers groups, playgroup, baby library groups, mums and bubs fitness groups, baby swim classes..... You get my point. Also I just randomly chat to other mums at the park with kids that play with my kids. It seems to be a little bit of luck wether you stumble upon groups that have other mums that you click with or not but just keep joining them until you find a good one. Your problem is that its a little while before you have bub in your arms to take to these groups. Maybe you could look up your local child health nurse and ask if she knows of any social groups for pregnant mums in the area. Or you could join something like an antenatal yoga class. Get there 10min early each week and see if there is any other mums that you could strike up a conversation with. Also maybe try facebook. Just search for mothers group+(your suburb). Or maybe look up the Australian breastfeeding association in your area. They have weekly meet ups. Good luck finding your tribe. Hopefully in time you will find some amazing women to build friendships with. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniethered View Post
    Hi I've recently just joined Bubhub. I am originally from London and moved here with my husband in January 2016 (he's from Australia). I am 35 weeks pregnant with our first baby which is due in October. We're currently living in Melbourne and we're both working.

Neither of us particularly like Melbourne - haven't settled in here or made friends etc, so we have decided to try Sydney out and will move there in Feb next year.

Right now, I'm feeling ever more down about how to cope with a newborn without any family or friends. I know hormones probably has a huge part to play in it, but I'm just concerned that these feelings will get worse.

I've really struggled to integrate well here in Melbourne and I'm not sure why as I've moved around the UK a fair bit and always found it relatively easy to make friends.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are there any other ex-pat mums out there who are living in either Melbourne or Sydney that are in the same or similar boat who would like to meet up? It's so darn hard doing a pregnancy without any support and much as my husband has been wonderful, it's not the same and I miss the support of a group of female friends.
    Thanks PinkTutu - that would be great. Good luck with number 2