+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sepetated Cystic Hygroma 20wk scan.

Hi all.
    I have recently had my 20 week scan at the Maternal Fetal Medicine building where they have found a Sepetated Cystic Hygroma on the back of my little mans neck along with this they have also found that he has a extra digit on each hand and foot and also has echogenic kidneys and a smaller chin.
    Prior to having this scan, I had an Amnio done and it has came back clear for any Trisomies.
    I am now being tested for a genetic disorder but am just wondering if there is anyone else out there that gave birth or is carrying a baby with Cystic Hygroma and how did it turn out for you and your baby? And what other markers did they have with the Cystic Hygroma?
    All these things where incredibly upsetting to find out but we are not willing to give up on our baby and are going to take it take each day as it comes.

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Really sorry to hear that you ended up getting bad news at your scan. Do they know what his prognosis is? Be gentle to yourself. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by brookef View Post
    Hi all.
    I have recently had my 20 week scan at the Maternal Fetal Medicine building where they have found a Sepetated Cystic Hygroma on the back of my little mans neck along with this they have also found that he has a extra digit on each hand and foot and also has echogenic kidneys and a smaller chin.
    Prior to having this scan, I had an Amnio done and it has came back clear for any Trisomies.
    I am now being tested for a genetic disorder but am just wondering if there is anyone else out there that gave birth or is carrying a baby with Cystic Hygroma and how did it turn out for you and your baby? And what other markers did they have with the Cystic Hygroma?
    All these things where incredibly upsetting to find out but we are not willing to give up on our baby and are going to take it take each day as it comes.

Thanks x
    Hi my little one was diagnosed with a cystic hygroma at about 26 weeks- it was actually on my 18 week scan and overlooked.
    It grew from 3cm to about 12cm.

I required a csection due to it's position- from behind right ear to right shoulder.

She had no other problems- either in the womb or after birth- but was kept in special care at RPA (Sydney) and transferred to SCH (Randwick) at 5 days old.
    At SCH she underwent sclerotherapy- insertion of a salt solution which irritates the lining and encourages it to swell and stick, then drainage (it was a two way drip inserted in and left for 4 days) of excess fluid.
    By day four the cyst was drained and there was some excess skin left over.

She is now 6 months (today) and has a bit of excess skin, and a tiny bit of fluid left (there was one big cyst with little ones nearby). We are waiting until she is 1 to go back and see what to do, as the medical team believe that the skin will basically sort itself- elasticity and growth.

As I said, that was her only issue- the hygroma.

I have no clue if it was septated or non-septated but my understanding is that they are just linked with different trisonomies- which she had none.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy ending with my LO. Had a cystic hygroma was monitored under fetal medicine and they did extra cardiac checks which were fine. LO grew, the cystic hygroma didn't so now DD is perfectly healthy and none the wiser of the anguish that was caused in utero. Best of luck OP.