+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Local or general anesthesia for egg pick up? Share your experience.

Hello, I'm about to go for an egg freeze cycle and I'm a bit (no... very...) scared about the egg pick up surgery part. For the egg pick up, I prefer to be unconscious but I understand that there are some risks to general anesthetic. Also it is more expensive.

What kind of anesthesia you choose when you did your egg pick up and why?

For those who did local anesthesia, I would love to hear your experience. Any pain during the procedure? Very nervous - are you fully conscious? Can you hear or see anything? Any post surgery pain?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was not given a choice but the anaesthetic was very light. I had it 4
    times and I can tell you it makes me so scared that I sometimes go under whilst I'm crying uncontrollably. I try not to think about it until I'm there on the day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spincycle For This Useful Post:

May20  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had very light general anaesthesia for both of my EPU's. I found it quite pleasant going under TBH! I was only under for 45 min max and took about 30 min to fully wake up. Rested for the rest of the day.
    My preference would be for general, but I didn't get an option, that's just what my clinic does.
    I took 3 days off work each time but honestly was just tender/bloated afterwards so probably could have worked the next day if I had to.
    I didn't need any pain relief either apart from some Panadol, but I think that was mainly feeling a bit gross from the anaesthetic more than anything.
    Best of luck, try not to get too anxious, there's not a lot you can control during an IVF cycle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

May20  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of mine were done under general. You couldn't pay me to have it done any other way, but some people are much braver than me!

From what I understand, if it's not done under general, you are fully conscious. They give you Valium and pain killers beforehand. But don't take my word for that, I haven't had it done that way. I'm sure someone who has will be able to let you know.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

May20  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very light GA here for about 30mins. Went in at 10 and was home by 1230 at the latest. You'll be a little sleepy but that's it. Egg pickup quantity will be written on your hand

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

May20  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My clinic doesn't use anaesthetic. No local is used either. We're given 2 x panadeine forte and 2 x Valium tablets about half an hour before the procedure and then suck on nitrous oxide during. I won't lie, it's pretty uncomfortable. But in saying that, as soon as I stopped breathing the gas I was good in about 30 seconds. I just had some period type cramping for most of the day. I did cope though, and if you're able to focus on something else it's not too bad. I just focused on taking deep slow breaths in and out on the gas. Every now and then I would take a sharp breath in because something hurt, but it was all over and done with in 10-15mins. First time they collected 11-12 eggs, second time they collected 4. To be honest, the first collection didn't hurt as much as the second one did.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

May20  (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was done under a light GA & was back up and at em very quickly (DH picked me up from hospital and I took his sample into clinic and they were surprised how well I was lol). I wouldn't like to have it the other way even though it's offered and we didn't have phi to cover the EPU.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeBabyIVF For This Useful Post:

May20  (26-08-2016)