+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your low/no intervention pregnancy care..

What kind of care did you have? ie private, midwife, shared. What were the minimum screenings/appointments you had? Any info would be great thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my first pregnancy, low risk and I'm going public but doing shared care with my private GP. I chose to go this route for convenience of out of hours appointments, managing my thyroid condition and to see the same person as much as possible throughout my pregnancy. I had an 8w, 12w and 20w scan and I saw my GP once every 4-6 weeks up until 24w and I now see her every 3 weeks. I had a midwife appointment at the hospital at 15w which was very routine and mostly just her asking questions and giving me a pregnancy pack with all info and books. I'll have two OB appointments at the hospital, first one is next week at 28w (which will include a glucose screening the day before but not sure what else to expect from this appointment) and second one at 34w - they've kindly booked these with the same OB considering I am only attending two appointments. After that I believe I'll see my GP on a weekly basis and she just checks baby's heart rate and measures my uterus and takes my blood pressure. My GP has also requested a 32w scan to check in on my placenta position as it was on the lower side at my last scan. So total of 4 scans for me which I believe is not the norm for a low risk pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had 2 low intervention pregnancies, ending in homebirths, and am in week 27 of my third pregnancy with planned homebirth. My pregnancies are low risk. I would seek medical support if I had or developed any signs of medical issues.

I have gone with an independent midwife every time because honestly, it seems to me the only way to get respectful care when you are choosing what tests you want to have. My experience with doctors and hospitals is that you are part of a check list, and they are pushy. I always asked my midwives straight out, how do you feel if I have no prenatal tests, ultrasounds etc and gauge whether I want to hire them based on their response.

First pregnancy, was ultra low "care" (I took care of myself) with no ultrasounds, no GTT, no doppler use (pinard only) and just the one blood test later on to check RH factor, iron levels, stuff like that. I hired my midwife at 7 months, met with her as standard every few weeks and had blood pressure checks, talked about how I felt.

Second pregnancy much the same except I engaged my midwife earlier on so had the BP checks from earlier. Met probably 6-8 times during pregnancy. No ultrasounds, doppler use or other tests.

Third pregnancy I chose to have a scan early on at 12 weeks (which I requested from a GP), and have also had the NIPT (which I organised myself through a GP). I have also chosen to have blood tests to check my thyroid function and iron levels. Other than that, just patiently growing. I meet my midwife every 4-5 weeks which will increase to fortnightly then weekly until birth.

I love it and am grateful to be low risk and have the option to make my own choice of pregnancy care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I have had 2 low intervention pregnancies, ending in homebirths, and am in week 27 of my third pregnancy with planned homebirth. My pregnancies are low risk. I would seek medical support if I had or developed any signs of medical issues.

I have gone with an independent midwife every time because honestly, it seems to me the only way to get respectful care when you are choosing what tests you want to have. My experience with doctors and hospitals is that you are part of a check list, and they are pushy. I always asked my midwives straight out, how do you feel if I have no prenatal tests, ultrasounds etc and gauge whether I want to hire them based on their response.

First pregnancy, was ultra low "care" (I took care of myself) with no ultrasounds, no GTT, no doppler use (pinard only) and just the one blood test later on to check RH factor, iron levels, stuff like that. I hired my midwife at 7 months, met with her as standard every few weeks and had blood pressure checks, talked about how I felt.

Second pregnancy much the same except I engaged my midwife earlier on so had the BP checks from earlier. Met probably 6-8 times during pregnancy. No ultrasounds, doppler use or other tests.

Third pregnancy I chose to have a scan early on at 12 weeks (which I requested from a GP), and have also had the NIPT (which I organised myself through a GP). I have also chosen to have blood tests to check my thyroid function and iron levels. Other than that, just patiently growing. I meet my midwife every 4-5 weeks which will increase to fortnightly then weekly until birth.

I love it and am grateful to be low risk and have the option to make my own choice of pregnancy care.
    This is what I am leaning towards I just had my booking in appointment at the hospital (we are rural so no option for home birth) and next week will have my morphology but wondered from here what the minimum amount of appointments I could go to. Also are fundal height measurements necessary? I have had 2 uncomplicated pregnancies and births before both midwifery care however this time I can't go midwifery care as they changed the catchment area so am doing shared care with GP (who is an OB too) and middies at hospital. Middie said I can pick how little or much I come and organise any further scans/tests through GP which I won't have anything else further. I will check my own BP at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well it sounds like you have supportive care providers which is great. For the fundal height, it's up to you if you want measurements. I always find it helpful to think about what information I will get from each test and what I will do with that information. So with fundal height it's used just to gauge whether baby is growing - one centimetre per week past, I think, 20 weeks is the "rule" but it is not set in stone. Plenty of times I've had slow weeks then fast weeks of growth. Personally I don't mind the fundal measurements as I find them non intrusive and an easy way to keep an eye on bub. You can easily do them at home with a sewing tape measure, just pop the bottom (0cm) at your pubic bone and run it up to along the top of the fundus (where you can feel the solid edge of your uterus) and read the length.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about your low/no intervention pregnancy care..

Hi. Congrats on your pregnancy. I think I had a low intervention pregnancy but it really depends on your own definition of what that really means. I certainly declined a number of tests, screenings and procedures that many people would consider normal/routine/'needed'. However I did consent to things that pp in this thread chose not to have.
    I am very lucky that I had the option of a public government funded and midwife led home birthing program. Every single thing that happened to me was discussed between my midwife and myself and I only consented to care that I wanted or I believed I needed. I totally respect and love my midwives and I felt nothing but care and respect from them.
    They absolutely do work within policies and standard procedures but I chose them as care providers because these policies mostly fit with my wishes. If something had come up that conflicted with my individuals needs then I would have been able to discuss this without any fear of my midwife judging me or pushing me to consent to unwanted treatments.
    I'm sorry that I can't tell you how to get this care (other then being in the catchment area for the awesome service I used!) but I do want to reassure you that individualized care is possible and a reasonable and safe thing for all women. Good luck in finding yours! Xxx