+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hospital bag must haves!

So the time has come where I'm starting to think about packing my hospital bag.

I'd love everyone's suggestions and recommendations on the following.

-what are the absolute must haves
    - did you pack drinks/ snacks?
    - how did you configure bags (one bag for you and Bub/ separate bags for labour/ after birth)
    - did you have spare stuff packed in the car?

-what to pack for wearing during labour, after labour etc.

The list the hospital has provided is very vague. Eg. Doesn't even have pack phone chargers. Um

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Powerade! It's good for labour, especially if it's long and you don't feel like eating.
    I packed snacks, which were a godsend because I was ravenous after the birth and due to breastfeeding.

I packed separate bags for me and bub.
    Bub's was just the nappy bag with some extra clothes and nappies. Make sure you put in mittens, a beanie and a dummy.

Pack a change of clothes and boardshorts for your dh. Mine ended up changing in to his because I spent most of my labour in the shower.
    LOTS of underwear
    Nursing bras and singlts
    Slippers and thongs
    A cardigan (hospitals are always cold)
    Plenty of comfortable pants
    Maternity pads and breast pads
    Toiletries
    Phone charger
    Camera and charger
    Some ural sachets
    Nipple cream

Thanks
    Reviews
    I packed a labour bag and a separate bag for hospital stay (2nights in my case).

Lots of baby wipes! That meconium poo is so sticky and hard to get off!

I snapped my nails off during labour, I forgot to pack nail scissors or an emery board. They were so sharp, and I accidentally scratched new born dd1.

Lots of maternity pads. I was induced with arm, I used heaps of maternity pads during labour.. Then used heaps more with pp bleeding..

I'll think of more and come back...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my labour stuff in a separate pocket of my bag and then bub stuff in a different bag

For labour: stress balls, heat pack; headphones, snacks like nuts, jelly beans, Powerade, lip balm, hair band, bikini top (water birth), mints, phone charger. I didn't end up using much for either birth. I laboured in a dress and then naked because I didn't like anything touching my belly.

Hospital stay: laniosh, breast pads, maternity pads, pjs, slippers, toiletries including some nice bath stuff to make me feel good, nursing bras, cardigan, zip up jumper and nursing singlets from best and less or h&m, black loose yoga pants, moisturiser, black undies, book.

Remember with clothes that you still have a stomach so I found nice loose fitting things the way to go.

Bub: mittens, socks; jumpsuits, wrap (because I can't swaddle to save myself), nappies, wipes, homecoming outfit
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 24-08-2016 at 11:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a few things to add from me:
    Shower cap so you don't get hair wet when showering. Something I always forget!
    Ear plugs in case things are noisy and you need a rest.
    Hydrogel breast discs in case bub hurts you in that early stage.
    Zip up jumpers and maternity singlets - so much easier for feeding.
    Just in case of c-section big knickers and loose comfy pants to go over wound site.
    I wore those slumbies slippers you can get at the chemist.
    I didn't really need snacks as hospital provided a lot of food but some sugary drink was handy so take some Powerade or something.

I had a bag for me and baby. I needed quite a lot as I was in for 10 days with complications and bub was in for 14 days so DH kept bringing what we needed.
    Exciting times

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything the ladies have said. But to add

Lip balm for dry lips

Nice soft toilet paper if your having a vaginal delivery as you don't want anything scratchy down there after you've given birth and incase of stitches aswell

Dried fruit and nuts to help you get going to the loo incase of troubles but I was on these through the last few weeks of my pregnancy

Phone charger

Try and get your hair down as close your due date as possible or wash and dry it every couple of days so that you don't have to do it hospital. I did this a few hours before going in for my c-sec and it was a god send to not have to do it til the day I went home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coins for post labour snacks if you have few visitors. Best thing I've ever tasted was a cup of sustagen my friend made. Moisturiser/coconut oil for everything as hospital heat dries you out, camera or mobile to take gazillions of sleepy baby pics, warm , grippy, walking socks for moving around the ward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babymummatobe View Post
    So the time has come where I'm starting to think about packing my hospital bag.

I'd love everyone's suggestions and recommendations on the following.

-what are the absolute must haves
    - did you pack drinks/ snacks?
    - how did you configure bags (one bag for you and Bub/ separate bags for labour/ after birth)
    - did you have spare stuff packed in the car?

-what to pack for wearing during labour, after labour etc.

The list the hospital has provided is very vague. Eg. Doesn't even have pack phone chargers. Um

Thanks everyone!!
    A book/music/ipad.... nothing on tv, boredom.
    Snacks- long time between meals, hungry during the night.
    Powerade

I had a bag for me, bub and H- had a csec so didn't need labour bag. Bub ended up in special care so didn't need her bag either. H didn't stay so didn't need hid either.

I barely used anything out of mine- no bleeding etc.
    I used 6 singlets, 3 trackie pants, 5 sets of undies.
    My singlets had inbuilt bras. I slept in trackie and singlet as was up every 2.5 hours to go down to sc to feed.
    I used maybe 2 pairs of breast pads in 24hrs- was feeding all the time or pumping so no leaks as such.
    No cameras etc allowed in sc so that was useless.
    Phone charger was used twice, but hosp had one.
    Last edited by DT75; 24-08-2016 at 12:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dummy / pacifier. Each mum/bub is different, but my milk didn't come in until day 7 and my bub always wanted to suck...Personal choice though ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Dummy / pacifier. Each mum/bub is different, but my milk didn't come in until day 7 and my bub always wanted to suck...Personal choice though ;-)
    Hospital should have some- but you may prefer your own brand

I didn't want to give a dummy, but sc team gave her one anyway. She is madly in love with her dummy now at 6 months- mostly plays with it but will settle quicker with it and spit it out when asleep.