+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 month worry

My baby boy is 18weeks,since birth hes always had his head turning to the right and when held in a sitting position he will have his head turned to the right,we always try him in different positions to have the head the other way but in the last week when hes held in a sitting position his head falls forward like he cant hold it up anymore,im worried something serious has happened here,anyone experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 8yo daughter had something similar turned out her neck muscles were tight from how she laid in the womb. We had to see a physio for awhile to learn exercises to do with her. Worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I noticed this on my ds2 when he was a few weeks old. I ended up taking him to a chiropractor who was trained in infants and they gently massages the tight muscles in his neck. There was no 'cracking' etc involved.

An osteopath or physio who are trained could also help.

Please see your gp or paed first though, and make sure you research who you are going to, if you do go down the path of getting someone to help with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely go to your Paed first and then they will refer you and if you don't feel right get a second opinion. Hopefully
    It's nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the same issue with our sons, both turned their head to the left. It was called tortecolis (not sure how to spell) and the neck muscles had shortened/tightened on that side so they had a preference to keep their head positioned that way. It was due to how they were positioned in the womb. My first son got a bit of a flat head on one side cos we didnt realise straight away. We were quick to start physio with DS2 so he has recovered much faster. I dont think a chiro would help as it is muscular, but try your GP, paed or physio for advice. It can delay development on the side they avoid but with exercises and games they catch up. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also forgot to say i think it becomes more noticeable around that 3-4 month mark when they develop head control and u realise they are avoiding one side. Before that u are holding their head a lot more. Have u had trouble feeding? Both my boys didnt like my right side as much so my left boob is twice as big! This can also be an indicator of torticolis

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hi OP, my ds is 6m tomorrow and prefers to lay his head facing the right. this has caused the right side of his head to go a bit flat.

I tried everything and nothing worked. I saw the MCHN who said it should begin to correct itself once he's sitting up more. I also saw the gp to rule out anything more sinister. as the gp believes it's simply positional, I took him to the osteo for some gentle massage.

after his session yesterday, I noticed him sleeping with his head facing the left!! I couldn't believe it.

I was a bit skeptical about the osteo initially as we took him to her for BF issues (he had a tight jaw) and she corrected these in 2 visits. I still wasn't convinced yesterday's appointment would do much, but I think it has. I've never seen him fall asleep facing the left!

in your case I would see a gp or paed first to rule out anything sinister. if they're satisfied it's nothing serious, I can't recommend a good osteo highly enough. make sure you find one that's good with babies though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback everyone,after doing some research i am now taking lil one to the docs,in the meantime i will do gentle exercising with plenty more tummy time,cant remember who mentiobed it but hes not breastfed and hes feeding double the amount due to a growth spurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Both my sons have done this and it's due to either how their birth was or how they were laying in the womb. Ds1 wouldn't turn his head down during his birth so they had to use ventouse to turn it for him and it was described to me kind of like he had whiplash so his neck was tight and it hurt him to turn it the other way. A few pediatric cranial osteo sessions fixed him and after the very first session there was a massive improvement, he started turning his head the other way and his shoulders relaxed almost immediately, he probably didn't even need the other sessions. Ds2 is 12 weeks and he saw a pediatric physio last week and an osteo this week to help as he was starting to get a flathead and breastfeeding on one side is a bit more difficult from him being tight. Again the osteo helped almost immediately but the physio went through lots of different exercises to encourage him to turn his head the other way. With tummy time, using a horseshoe shaped pillow to prop him up on helps heaps with how much he enjoys it, I use my breastfeeding pillow but a neck pillow you use on the airplane would work as well. The osteo is more about doing what they can to ease the tension right then whereas the physio was more about teaching different skills to improve his motor skills which would subsequently help the tightness--both were really helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was like this, a few osteo sessions plus some free physio sessions through community health (child health nurse refers you) got her sorted.