+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Zoloft--feeling worse before feeling better

Ds2 is now 12 weeks and I decided to go on antidepressants last week as my PND, mostly the anxiety, has been really awful and getting worse. The dr started me on 25mg for four days and then 50mg after that as he said it can make anxiety worse so he wanted me to ease into. I've only been taking it a total of a week and the 50mg since Friday and I am feeling awful, very down and panicky. I know this is common, I know I've told others on the hub that sometimes antidepressants make you feel worse before you get better or it takes a while for them to work but this is actually the first time it's ever happened to me. Usually they just don't work and it takes a while to work out what dosage I need but I've never actually felt worse before and I'm feeling really scared right now. On top of that MIL is visiting and although she's here to help I am finding having her here really stressful and that's making me feel pretty crap as well, she's not doing anything bad besides ordinary mil annoyances but I'm not comfortable around her when I'm depressed.

Can somebody just tell me it's going to get better? Because right now I just feel like crying and running away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also should have mentioned that I took Zoloft for PND when ds1 was 6 months and this feeling worse before I feel better didn't happen...

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Aw Hun I had no idea it was getting this bad for you 😔

Yes, in my experience you will feel worse for a week or so (I imagine more if you are sleep-deprived). When I went on ADs for a while after my friend died it took me around a fortnight to feel 'steady'. I had physical symptoms like quickened heart rate and breathlessness and heightened anxiety. I had to do a lot of self talk to remind myself it was just the meds etc.

The Science behind it isn't there, but you could try and Google some Brad Yates Tapping videos on YouTube and take 30 seconds out to work through one of them when you're having a bad moment?

I'm so sorry you're going through this, you know where I am if you need x

Just remember this, and your MIL, shall pass.

ETA eep! I meant your MIL's visit shall pass, not your MIL 😂

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (23-08-2016),Wise Enough  (23-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take Lexapro (similar to Zoloft) and get the worse before better. Give it at least another week at 50mg and if it is still bad then go back to dr. Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the worse before better phase too. Mine lasted about 3 weeks, which is apparently longer than usual. I found the anxiety symptoms took longer to settle than the depressive symptoms. But I also started having less issues with sleep about 2 weeks in (well, insofar as I was actually sleeping in between night wakings, not lying there freaking out).
    Huge hugs. It's so hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs.

I am on lexapro. It took 2 weeks before I stopped feeling like an edgy zombie. Try and stick with it for a bit longer. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

You could ask for Valium to help you get on the meds? Then wean off once you feel better on the meds.
    Last edited by WinterJade; 23-08-2016 at 20:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took 50mg of Zoloft when my son was 6 weeks old due to anxiety. I started feeling better and brighter each and every day until I mixed it with the pill (levlen?) then I got really, really bad. I needed to come straight off the pill after only 5 days on then my dose was increased to 100mg. Are you taking the pill? Could you be having a similar reaction?
    I weaned off Zoloft after about 6 months and have been fine since.

Stay strong. You can get through this stage x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take Lexapro and had every single side effect on the box for about 3 weeks before I levelled out and felt better - insomnia, anxiety, night sweats, excessive yawning, increased depressive thoughts, mood swings....I was on the verge of giving up because I just wasn't getting better and was losing what little normal functioning I had been able to maintain but then I seemed to turn the corner and it got better. It still took a couple more weeks to really start feeling ok but stick with it, it's worth it in the end when you can finally start to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing I definitely felt worse for about 2 weeks then it was a bit of a juggling act until I felt "normal". It can take a little while, and it's harder when you're exhausted!

Can you talk to the doctor about getting something like serepax/valium to help you through the panicky times? I find personally, if I'm already on edge/anxious, the idea that I'm anxious can send me into a full blown panic attack pretty quickly. Where as if I can take serepax when I start feeling extra anxious, I can stop a full attack before it happens.

Hang in there it's bloody hard to begin with but it will get better. Sending you love xx