Mastitis - only feeding once a day | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go see a physio and get some US on it. I think that helps move it without needing to feed heaps.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-08-2016),gingermillie  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Do you have an electric toothbrush? If you do massage the lump gently with the end of the vibrating toothbrush. It really helps shift the blockage (works equally well for blocked ducts!). You can do it in the shower as the warm water/heat helps.

A wonderful tip from a hubber who has long since left.

I hope it settles for you soon.
    DH has one! I'll try it tonight! Thank you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mastitis - only feeding once a day

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Go see a physio and get some US on it. I think that helps move it without needing to feed heaps.
    Thanks @twinklify I think I'll put DD in childcare tomorrow even though I'm not going to work so I could probably do this.

ETA I hope your evening improves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    DH has one! I'll try it tonight! Thank you
    That made me laugh as I could see a scenario of you with a toothbrush on your boob and your DH walks in and catches you.

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Thanks @twinklify I think I'll put DD in childcare tomorrow even though I'm not going to work so I could probably do this.

ETA I hope your evening improves
    DD is all happy now DH is home so I am cooking dinner. Which has calmed me down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That made me laugh as I could see a scenario of you with a toothbrush on your boob and your DH walks in and catches you.

DD is all happy now DH is home so I am cooking dinner. Which has calmed me down.
    Lol no chance of catching me he's interstate so I was safe. I won't tell him I squeezed quite a bit of milk out and tried the toothbrush but not sure if it's done anything. Might email lactation consultant I used in early days and see what she thinks. I'm scared of getting an abscess given it had a good 48hrs to develop before I realized what was happening.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did not have mastitis but did have a blocked duct I managed to clear before mastitis set in. Do you have any white specks? Sometimes you can use a sterilized needle and prick the hardened milk and help release it.

I will add that there may be some hard milk and it can hurt sooooooooo much trying to pump/BF it out until it clears (you can feel the relief!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did not have mastitis but did have a blocked duct I managed to clear before mastitis set in. Do you have any white specks? Sometimes you can use a sterilized needle and prick the hardened milk and help release it.

I will add that there may be some hard milk and it can hurt sooooooooo much trying to pump/BF it out until it clears (you can feel the relief!)
    I had several blocked ducts back in the early days and I did have the unfortunate milk bleb then too. Now that hurt! But don't have that this time. Frankly I'm super surprised that I got mastitis as I never did with any of my blocked ducts and they got massively swollen and sore
    Tonight I had a consult with the lactation consultant who helped me in my early days of BF. She's amazing. I emailed her and got a phone call within 15 minutes!! She's told me to express a bit off every 2 hours and draw the outline of the redness to see if it grows, ice pack and book another gp appt for tomorrow afternoon just in case.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-08-2016),twinklify  (23-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie how are you? Hoping it's improved xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks binnielici I'm much better this morning. The redness finally reduced overnight and the pain subsided substantially yesterday so antibiotics are working yay. I also did a massive dangle feed from that side yesterday morning so DD could suck it all out and I think that helped too.
    Thanks for thinking of me, hope you are getting a few chunks of sleep with new bub x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic! My sister helped me out again this morning so I've had a 2 hour block of sleep after being awake from 11-4 overnight.

I'm dreading a blocked duct/mastitis developing myself at the moment as DS3 is not draining either side when he feeds at the moment (he only takes one side a time) - so I've got some very sore engorged b00bs 😞