+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mastitis - only feeding once a day

Hi all
    I cannot believe that after 13.5 months of breastfeeding I developed mastitis over the weekend and started antibiotics today. Everything I have read seems to relate to mastitis early on in breastfeeding and suggests to feed very frequently (i.e. 2hourly) to help it clear up. My DD is only feeding once a day now at 7:30am. I don't want to start feeding more often at this point (I had actually planned to stop completely in a few weeks). Does anyone have any advice about mastitis late in the game like this? I don't want my supply ramping up and my DD is happy not feeding but I am not really sure what to do and the GP didn't mention anything about feeding.
    Thanks lovelies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you ask for medication to help dry up your milk?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cabbage leaves and peppermint tea will help dry your milk up, that's what I did when DS stopped feeding at 13 months. The cabbage leaves are also soothing but I'm not sure if it will all help with the mastitis.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't want to dry up my milk yet. I don't want to stop cold turkey I want to wait about a month as my DH is away and I want to wean when he's back. She's just doing the morning feed at the moment. I stopped her evening feed last week and I don't know if that has contributed to this or just my general sh!tty health right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe go back to the night feed or just express at the night time just to ease the pressure

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Otherwise I don't really have an answer for you sorry I hope it resolves for you quickly

10. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mastitis - only feeding once a day

Your boobs will eventually settle and get used to the one feed a day. Pump a little to relieve engorgement. Hot showers. Cabbage leaves are amazing and whilst they can affect supply they should not dry your milk up completely if you continue to feed.
    I got mastitis when I weaned.

Good luck, take care of yourself @gingermillie xxxx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone
    I don't have any engorgement just swelling around the infection site but otherwise they feel fine. I think I will hand express a bit out in the shower tonight as I'm a bit worried about how I'll clear this with only 1 feed in 24hrs. I've drawn a ring around the redness to see if it grows at all now I'm on antibiotics. It's currently about half the size of my palm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you don't want your milk to dry up then I would do what LMS suggested and pump a little to help you through it. Also, potato slices are meant to give the same relief cabbage leaves do but not harm your supply.

Hope you feel better, my son self-weaned at 13 months, woke up one morning and just decided he wanted nothing to do with me anymore .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have an electric toothbrush? If you do massage the lump gently with the end of the vibrating toothbrush. It really helps shift the blockage (works equally well for blocked ducts!). You can do it in the shower as the warm water/heat helps.

A wonderful tip from a hubber who has long since left.

I hope it settles for you soon.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (22-08-2016),flowers21  (22-08-2016),gingermillie  (22-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-08-2016)