Floorboards over existing tiles - anyone done this? | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I had bamboo floors and they were sooooo squeaky and scratched so easily
    Lol exactly the opposite of what they're supposed to be like. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I am also interested in bamboo floors. They sound like a better option (sustainable, less noisy, apparently more forgiving with uneven surfaces etc) but I don't know if anyone that's used them.
    I know someone who laid bamboo floors straight over tiles.

I can't comment on the laying over tiles bit, however, while the floors look nice, they are very prone to scratching and don't do well when the kids come out of the bath dripping wet and haven't bothered drying off on a towel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had bamboo too and they seriously scratch easily. This time we went with engineered oak and I'm surprised at how easily they scratch too although they do seem to fade (not high gloss). We didn't do it over the tiles though, we jack hammered them up

Thanks
    Reviews
    @sunnygirl79 how old are your kids? I have had tiles, carpet, vinyl planks that look like floor boards, and bamboo. There is something to be said for giving your floor a hammering without worrying about scratches. My kids are 4 and 2 and they would have trashed the bamboo by now.

The vinyl planks I loved. They looked good and I could just drag furniture around. Same with tiles. I hated those tiles till I had the bamboo planks, now I have a new found appreciation for them!

If you have little kids I would wait ten years until they are older.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In reality it won't be happening for several years, if it in fact happens at all. It's just something we need to consider before we renovate bathrooms and/or kitchen, as both are tiled and it's the same tile throughout the house (and kitchen is tiled around the benches so if we want to change layout we would need to re-do flooring).

If we change the flooring it will be timber. Otherwise we have to keep our ugly tiles and work with them. I do think we will live here for a good 10 years plus.

I have a 5 year old and a baby. In reality if we got timber we would need to get it repolished etc before we sold regardless of whether we had kids, so while it's definitely a consideration, it's not the be all and end all. (Spoken by one who bought white leather lounge when DS1 was 18 months old . Still going strong thankfully!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Floorboards over existing tiles - anyone done this?

My parents are in the process of doing this. They have also laid tiles over old tiles in the kitchen.
    They are currently overseas and will lay the floorboards when they get back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cevapa For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had carpet rugs made to the floor layout so it looks like carpet but it is just a few rugs laying over the tiles. It was fairly cheap as we had off cuts used where possible like the hall way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about vinyl laminate instead of floorboards?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really a fan of laminate. We will either leave the tiles or do floorboards.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Floorboards over existing tiles - anyone done this?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471918907.719693.jpg
    These are laminate floor boards. They take a beating and look good. But they don't feel or sound like floor boards. Each one is an individual plank.
    Last edited by Wise Enough; 23-08-2016 at 13:41.