+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Floorboards over existing tiles - anyone done this?

I hate our tiles. Hate hate hate them. We have a large open plan home with a white tiled floor which runs throughout - kitchen, dining, halls, bathrooms etc. only the bedrooms and our sunken lounge area are carpeted.

To have all our tiles pulled up would be hideously expensive. I have heard of floating timber floorboards being laid directly over tiles and I am interested in looking into this option.

If you have done this - what problems (if any) did you encounter? What type of tiles did you have before (and did they need any special treatment to ensure level etc)? What thickness are your floorboards (if known)? And lastly if you are happy to share approx cost & size of the area covered.

Obviously we would talk to professionals before we considered this but I was interested to hear other experiences with this. Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We just did ours (new timber floors) and we did pull up the tiles - ( DH pulled them up and laid the floor himself with my BIL) I'll check with DH tonight but I think he said it's better to pull up the tiles as the height will affect your skirting boards and doors and as we have a concrete slab it was more even and easier to lay the boards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. I know it's better to pull up the tiles but I just don't think it's an option for us. My dads a builder and would be able to help with any skirting/door issues, we have high ceilings at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents looked into doing this, but couldn't find a good option. There were some thin laminated boards that could be laid over tiles, as the thick boards mess up your floor levels/skirtings etc. they didn't like the colours available though, so still have the ugly tiles!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (22-08-2016)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Floorboards over existing tiles - anyone done this?

Following....

I totally understand your hatred for the white tiles! I can't stand mine either, let alone the white grout too which is almost impossible to keep clean....
    Last edited by kiwimum890; 22-08-2016 at 18:20.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw a segment about a floating deck on The living room...l know thats exterior but they always get their materials from Bunnings...maybe look on "The Living Room" website. There may be some information about floating floorboards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did our house last year. I'm very happy with the result. We bought and got installed through carpet call it cost $2400 installed. I I forget how many square feet it was but medium to large 4bedroom home. We chose not to lift the skirting and use beading instead. Our floor was reasonably leave so no prep work required. They use underlay so it can take a but of uneven tile.

How do I post a pic? I Will show you the skirting

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieDE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    We did our house last year. I'm very happy with the result. We bought and got installed through carpet call it cost $2400 installed. I I forget how many square feet it was but medium to large 4bedroom home. We chose not to lift the skirting and use beading instead. Our floor was reasonably leave so no prep work required. They use underlay so it can take a but of uneven tile.

How do I post a pic? I Will show you the skirting
    When you reply you should see a little picture icon like below

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471853972.551169.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also interested in bamboo floors. They sound like a better option (sustainable, less noisy, apparently more forgiving with uneven surfaces etc) but I don't know if anyone that's used them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had bamboo floors and they were sooooo squeaky and scratched so easily